Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Excessive Home Base Station Recording and Alert vs Cloud

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ted123
Aspirant
Aspirant

I added a USB to the home base station to enable local recording. However, I'm getting way more alert recordings on the local USB vs cloud. Shouldn't the # of recordings on the cloud in sync with and "equal "# of recordings on the home base station(local) when armed?

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ted123,

Are you using Activity Zones? Because Activity Zones take place on the cloud, motion that occurs outside of the zones will show up in local storage but not on the cloud (the cloud determines the motion is outside the zone and filters it).

JamesC

Ted123
Aspirant
Aspirant
James,
Thx for the update. Yes, I'm using the activity zone for my system. Is there a way to apply the same rule, activity zone to both cloud and local recordings?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ted123,

No. Motion that occurs outside the activity zone is filtered at the cloud level. All motion detected events are saved locally when local storage is enabled.

JamesC

Ted123
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James,

How about audio? Does local records audio detected event even though audio detection has been disabled for that
camera?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ted123 wrote:

How about audio? Does local records audio detected event even though audio detection has been disabled for that
camera?

No.  Audio detection is done in the camera itself (as is motion detection).

When you are using battery power, all motion detection is simultaneously streamed to the Arlo Cloud and saved locally.  The Arlo Cloud then determines if the motion was outside the zone - and if it was, it doesn't save the recording in the Cloud.  But the recording remains on the local drive.

If you were to power the camera with the AC adapter,  the activity zones would be processed by the camera instead of the cloud.  In that case, the local recordings would match what's in the cloud.

Ted123
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the explanation on the motion detection on AC vs battery power.
Since Audio detection is done in the camera itself, the recorded events should be the same for cloud vs local. My issue is that local recording continues to report audio events although audio has been disabled in armed mode. The cloud however did not report any audio recording event. How do I make the local recording for audio event matches the cloud?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ted123 wrote:
The cloud however did not report any audio recording event. How do I make the local recording for audio event matches the cloud?

That's not something I am seeing - all my local recordings are classified as motion.

You could try removing the camera from the account and then re-add it - then see if anything changes.

Ted123
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeap. That has fixed this issue. Thx StephenB!
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation