Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

I get his message at least 3-4 times a day when trying to access my cameras.

"Your Arlo device appears offline.  Please make sure it's powered on and connected to the internet"

I've read some of the responses to this same issue from others who've experienced this.

During the time that I get this message my hub is flashing amber.  Once it goes back to solid blue which takes about a minute then all is fine.

One of the responses that someone got from James says that maybe a camera is not responding?  Am I to assume that because one camera is not responding that the entire system is unavailable?  I find that hard to believe but I may be misinterpreting what was actually said.

Another fix was to centralize the hub but my house is only 1800 sq ft so most of the devices are well within range of the hub.  The hub is connected to a wifi mesh system via ethernet cable.  I have another camera attached this way and I have zero issues with access.

What is the solution to get this fixed?  I can't tell you how frustrating it is to want to access the cameras when I really need to only to see this message pop up then have to wait until the video populates with an image.  That defeats the purpose of having cameras.

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Raw distance isn't the only issue with camera connections to the hub. The flashing amber LED means at least one camera is having connection problems, which you note as a camera being offline. Since it happens on occasion and then fixes itself (seemingly) I'd suggest you look for a wireless device near the hub and cameras, perhaps that only gets accessed a few times a day. This could be cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc. that can emit interference that confounds the connection. You may also want to move the hub away from your router since that can be an issue, too.

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

So, to clarify, ALL cameras (8) note this error.  Not just one.  I do have the hub right next to the mesh "satellite" unit but I guess I can't see why that would cause issues since using an ethernet cable would require a close proximity to the hub in order to use the cable.  I guess I could move it a few feet over to see if that solves it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since all cameras have the same issue, I would suspect something about the hub being the problem. Moving the hub away from the satellite/router can be useful by reducing the signal strength. I recently had an issue with connections on my VMB5000 hub that went away when I moved the hub 3-4 feet away. This hub and other older bases had been right next to my router for years with (seemingly) no problems but it was necessary to move it to clear up new problems.

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've relocated the hub about 4-5ft away from the wifi mesh satellite device while maintaining the ethernet cable.  Still nothing.  I still get the same message as before.  Bad hub?  If so, that will be the second hub in as many months.  I do still have a warranty but if I receive another one I'll have to go through the entire configuration process again which is a PIA.  

Aspirant
Aspirant

My three cameras just did this 5 minutes ago.  All was ok with them and now I am getting this message.  I have not idea what to do.  The blue light is solid on the base hub.  I have the Pro3 as well with 3 cameras.  States all are offline

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A blue LED on the SmartHub should indicate no issues. Try logging out of the app and logging back in, do you see the same behavior?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation