Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connection problems

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MTBrian
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I just purchased a Pro 3 system, and cannot get to find devices.  Have tried everything I can come across.  I have solid blue light on the hub, have reset multiple times.  I have tried access through computer via ethernet to same router.  I tried setting up a 2.4 guest hub to make sure it was correct.  After 2 hours of hold and assistance time with Arlo, I am being told I need to have things on my router set to open.  My fear is I spend another 2 hours and this still does not solve my issue.  I have came across several of the exact same issues, but have yet to come up with the solution.  I am beyond frustrated and ready to send these back .  So much for plug and play......Can anyone shed some light for me , thank you in advance!!!

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MTBrian,

A solid blue LED generally indicates the smarthub is connected to the internet and ready to go. Use the steps in the following article to try factory resetting your SmartHub: How can I reset my Arlo SmartHub or base station to the default values?

After the factory reset is complete, make sure your mobile device is connected to the same network as the SmartHub and attempt the onboarding process again. If you encounter an issue, at what point does it occur and what error do you see?

JamesC

MTBrian
Aspirant
Aspirant

It just does search for device and will never find it.  I have reset several times, unplugged restarted several times.  Tried multiple phones, computer plugged direct to router.  All to no avail.  Does this opening ports in router make sense to you?  I have someone that can do that for me tonight, but if it doesn't sound like something that will work to you I won't waste my time or money doing it?

Real issue is finding device, it will not find the smart hub.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MTBrian,

If there is something on your network preventing access to the SmartHub or ports are blocked, it could result in the symptoms you describe. If you have someone that can check your network, that is a good place to start.

JamesC

MTBrian
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time.  I will have the ports checked before I throw in the towel.

I will definitely let you know results either way, hopefully this will work and we can save a bunch of frustration for someone else in the future.

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had the same problem today with my new hub. Blue light was on. When I tried adding devices it wouldn't find a thing.

What I found that finally worked was logging out of my account and Uninstalling the app. Then I soft booted my phone. I reinstalled the app, relogged on and I was finally able to find my new hub. I'm not even going to go there trying to add my cameras. I almost threw in the towel and sent these back. The most frustrating setup experience ever.
MTBrian
Aspirant
Aspirant

rwxrwx 

Ya I have tried that as well.  I'm down to a defective hub.  I hope the cameras go better.  Otherwise this project is short lived, I am with you on the frustration.  Have friends that have spent 1/3 the money and plug and play.  Wish me luck LOL

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

I will say I thought I had bricked my new smart hub and asked for a new one from Arlo.  They sent one.  When I tried setting up the new one I started having the same issues as the old one.  I plugged the old one back in and went through the methods I listed earlier and that's when the app finally found the hub.  But, when it asked me to look for cameras it couldn't find them.  So, I had to take the batteries out of the cameras before it could see them again.  One of the frustrating parts of finding new devices was that every time it did so it would check to see if the hub needed new firmware or not.  That takes a couple minutes and there's no way of getting around it.  You have to just wait.  And of course, during the initial set up it said it couldn't find the hub even though the light was solid blue.  RRRR!  So, once it got past all of that and found a new camera it asked me to name it.  So, I did. Well, once I entered the name and tapped next it sat there and just spun.  RRRR!!  I had to kill the app, then all of a sudden the camera populates on the main screen on the app.  I do the same for the 2nd camera and have to go through the firmware update wait game again and kill the app for the app to see the camera.  I do it a third time for the 3rd time but this time the 3rd camera will not populate the main screen of the app.  NOW WHAT??  I log out of the app and log back in.  This time I get an error saying I have too many devices and to eliminate some of them using the set up login screen which I never was able to find.  RRRR!!!  I go through the whole firmware update wait game again and this time there are 4 cameras populating the screen which shows all cameras to choose from.  I click those and was finally able to get all cameras to show up on the main screen.  This whole process took 2 hours.  My wife is still screaming at me to send them back but I'll keep them for now.  I will say that once the set up is done the cameras work great.  The resolution is stellar.  The wide angle lens is stellar.  The only issue I'm having now is night vision.  In the evenings I'm getting a halo effect on one of the cameras and from what I've read it's because I have it mounted to a soffit and part of that soffit shows up on the camera on the upper left and upper right.  That may be having an effect on how the IR works.  Hardware is great but the software needs a lot of work.  It's just not ready for primetime.  One other thing that I remember I had to do as well is that the app was not able to get the cameras recognized on their own either.  I had to manually sync every one of them rather than them being detected using the app.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation