Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Can we access recordings from the SD card through the app

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Johnny290:

Activity zones were advertised as one of the new features with Pro 2 new hardware, they were not included with Pro model (unless applied through a cloud subscription plan).

No worries, never took it as anything rude on your part.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

I'd like to add: "locally through WIFI and remotely through internet".

Strangely question ignored, no replies?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Johnny290 wrote:

Can we access recordings from the SD card through the app

Not at present.  Arlo has said they will provide access to local storage in the near future, so it should be coming in a few months.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@StephenB :

That means Arlo Pro 3 users won't be able to access camera recordings at all after the three month free subscription expires (unless sd card or usb flash drive is viewed on a PC).

Good luck with that to all Pro 3 buyers. This feature was originally promised with the introduction of the Ultra for the near future as well.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Paul_FCCL wrote:

That means Arlo Pro 3 users won't be able to access camera recordings at all after the three month free subscription expires (unless sd card or usb flash drive is viewed on a PC).

Correct. 

They promised direct access to local storage would be provided before the first Ultra trial subscriptions would run out.  I believe that is about the same date when the Pro 3 trial subscriptions will run out.

So they still have some time to roll this feature out.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Good point they said we would be able to do this with arlo ultra still waiting for that update. When I see it I'll believe it who knows how well it would work. I just don't trust them anymore
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Johnny290.

Locally stored recordings cannot be accessed through the Arlo app. You must eject the USB drive and view locally stored content on a computer (or other device that can read and play media from the drive).

JamesC

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
We were previously told that we would be able to access recordings through the app , that were located on your SD card. Any news when this update will happen
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Johnny290 wrote:
Good point they said we would be able to do this with arlo ultra still waiting for that update. When I see it I'll believe it ...

It would be the same update for both, since the base stations that support the Ultra also support the Pro 3 (and vice versa).

I get that people might be getting anxious, but they did provide the free trial subscriptions in order to give them time to develop and roll out the feature.  They have another 3 months before those trial subscriptions begin to expire.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

The link below  is a link to the original commitment posted in January.  It states the function is “expected” to be available in the  “second half” of the year.   We are half way through the second half now.  It seems appropriate for an Arlo update as to whether the expectation from nine months ago, is still valid or if their expectation has now changed in any way.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Announcements/Local-and-Remote-Access-to-Local-Storage-for-Arlo-Ultra-...

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I am also concerned about having activitie zones without having a prescription and just using SD card
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Johnny290 wrote:
I am also concerned about having activity zones without having a prescription and just using SD card

With the Arlo Ultra, Pro 3, Pro 2, Q, Q Plus, or Baby cameras, today you can either power the Ultra camera with AC and use local activity zones, or get a smart subscription and use cloud activity zones.

Arlo hasn't said whether or not that will change with direct access to local storage, but I doubt it will.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@StephenB  wrote:

Like the Pro Arlo cameras, today you can either power the camera with AC and use local activity zones, or get a smart subscription and use cloud activity zones.

Arlo Pro without a subscription does not give you activity zones, a/c powered or on battery. Need a subscription.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Paul_FCCL wrote:

Arlo Pro without a subscription does not give you activity zones, a/c powered or on battery. Need a subscription.

My bad - you are correct.  The pro isn't capable of doing pixel processing, so only the cloud activity zones can be used with it.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
The information you're giving me is not correct. I have Arlo Pro I do not have a subscription and I do have activity zones while plugged in
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Johnny290 wrote:

The information you're giving me is not correct. I have Arlo Pro I do not have a subscription and I do have activity zones while plugged in.

Good for you man. I just made an observation, based on the fact that I have Arlo Pro, I do not have a subscription and I do not have activity zones while plugged in.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

just to clarify I don't mean to be rude so please don't take it that way. I also made a mistake I have Arlo Pro 2 and plugged in I can set up activity zones without a subscription. So I also stand to be corrected

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Johnny290 wrote:

I also made a mistake I have Arlo Pro 2 and plugged in

That matters for this.  The Arlo Ultra, Pro 3, Pro 2, Q, Q Plus, and Baby camera support local activity zones - but the Arlo Pro does not.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Johnny290:

Activity zones were advertised as one of the new features with Pro 2 new hardware, they were not included with Pro model (unless applied through a cloud subscription plan).

No worries, never took it as anything rude on your part.

MaximKa
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC, remote SD card access through app was promised at the beginning of the year to be available in second half of 2019 but your response implies that this functionality is no longer in the works. Can you please tell us if Arlo is still working on providing remote SD card access functionality for Arlo Ultra and Arlo Pro 3 cameras.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MaximKa,

This functionality is still in the works. Sorry for the miscommunication, my statement above was meant to reflect the current state of local storage today. Remote access to local storage is still slated for release in the second half of this year.

JamesC

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

So if this happens you can now bypass the Cloud Storage? Arlo's Cloud Storage creates part of the revenue and if it's not making money anymore then we might lose the 7-Day free recordings? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JPC wrote:

So if this happens you can now bypass the Cloud Storage? Arlo's Cloud Storage creates part of the revenue and if it's not making money anymore then we might lose the 7-Day free recordings? 

The Pro-3 and Ultra cameras don't offer the 7 day recording in the basic (free) account.  Today there is a free trial account.  Arlo has said that they will provide direct access to the SD card storage before those trial accounts expires.  That gives Pro-3 and Ultra users a free plan option (though without smart notifications, cloud activity zones, etc).

Arlo hasn't announced any changes to the 7-day recording for the older cameras.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

@StephenB wrote:

@JPC wrote:

The Pro-3 and Ultra cameras don't offer the 7 day recording in the basic (free) account.  Today there is a free trial account.  Arlo has said that they will provide direct access to the SD card storage before those trial accounts expires.  That gives Pro-3 and Ultra users a free plan option (though without smart notifications, cloud activity zones, etc).

Arlo hasn't announced any changes to the 7-day recording for the older cameras.

My bad.. I was thinking this would also affect Arlo Pro since the App itself are the same across the board? Also, I wonder how would this play out if cameras are mix and match in Bases?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JPC wrote:

I was thinking this would also affect Arlo Pro since the App itself are the same across the board? Also, I wonder how would this play out if cameras are mix and match in Bases?

Well, we haven't seen the feature yet, so we'll have to see if they offer this same feature with the older cameras.  From my point of view, it would be a plus - since even a fairly small thumb drive can hold more than 7 days of recording for me. 

However, I do use cloud activity zones, so I'll have a subscription anyway.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation