Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera's are recording nearly all night, no notifications, but videos in the library.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ashenfang
Aspirant
Aspirant

Strangest issue here. I have noticed that all of my cameras are recording nearly all day and night, with videos in the library labeled as "motion". When I watch any of the videos, there no animal or person present. There is also no notification received with any of these. However, if I step into view of the camera, or a vehicle/animal triggers the camera, I get a notification of the event. I have checked the settings in the app and all of the cameras are the same - notify on motion, animal, person, or vehicle.

It's almost like the cameras are detecting some kind of motion and recording (like they are supposed to) but not sending a notification unless its a person, vehicle or animal (even though in settings it should notify on generic motion).

6 out of 8 cameras are on hardwired power so it's not that big of an issue, but the two cameras that are on battery are draining in 2-3 days because they are recording non-stop.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to tell the camera not to record generic motion unless it's a person/animal/vehicle?

I have heard from other Arlo users on Reddit with near identical issue, so seems the problem isn't limited to just my system.

3 REPLIES 3
dcfox1
Master
Master

If I understand you right you have motion on in Smart settings? Even If motion is off it will still record it but will not give an alert.  If it is on it will record and send a notification I just tried it as I had it off. Motion is when the server can not determine what the recording is so there is no way to stop the recording, just the notification. There was some confusion in another past thread if a category is  off you should get a recording or not but a moderator stated you should. 

ashenfang
Aspirant
Aspirant

In my app settings, I have notifications "On" for vehicles, animals, people, and motion. I am getting LOTS of recordings in my library, but zero notifications associated with them. If I run outside in front of the camera, I will get a notification for that. Basically, my cameras are behaving like I have CVR, when I don't.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If your cameras are recording more than you want them to or more than is expected, you may need to adjust the position of the cameras so that less traffic is passing through the PIR detection area or reduce the sensitivity so that they are less sensitivity to motion.

For more information on adjusting sensitivity, take a look here: How do I change the motion sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation