Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
redmick13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all

updated my network and replaced my old apple gear with some new Synology routers. I now seem to have next to no signal on my camera in the shed. It is physically no more than 5m directly away from the shed router but has one bar dropping off to none. I am suspecting that is connecting to the next closest router in the rear of the house which is about 20-30m away. I deleted and added the camera again hoping it would then connect to the strongest signal. All my other devices I can see which router they connect to but with the Arlo system I am unsure how they pickup the network and connect to my VMB5000 base station which is in the office up the other end of the house. 
I had a strong signal on the old network with the camera and router in the same positions. So I’m guessing it is connecting to the weaker signal from the house. The wifi in the shed is full strength for my other connected devices. Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated even a pointer to how the cameras connect to the network without obtaining an ip address. (Maybe the base station creates its own little VPN)

regards

redmick 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@redmick13 wrote:

No nothing like that has changed.I had an Apple based network. ie Timecapsule and two air Express units and they were replaced with three Synology MR220AC  units that's why i am at a loss.

It could be wifi interference.

Maybe try turning off the synology wifi (as a test) and see if that makes any difference.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The arlo base/hubs use it’s own wifi channel which is a closed network that the cameras connect to.

This would explain the low signal level since your hub is at the other end of the house.

If you have a pro3 floodlight Camera see details on how to change to wifi router.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062770/Which-Arlo-Cameras-and-Doorbells-work-directly-with-my-Wi-Fi-router 

If you have just the pro3 camera then you can only connect to the arlo hub. Either move the hub physically closer  to the camera location or use a second base/hub located closer.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

The arlo base/hubs use it’s own wifi channel which is a closed network that the cameras connect to.

Correct. 

@redmick13:  Did you move the smarthub when you upgraded your router?

redmick13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok so i never had any issues prior to my network change now it is rubbish.The shed would be 40m away from the basestation  so i am little confused as to what has made it no start playing up.

redmick13
Aspirant
Aspirant

No nothing like that has changed.I had an Apple based network. ie Timecapsule and two air Express units and they were replaced with three Synology MR220AC  units that's why i am at a loss.My Hub had never flashed amber i.e device out of range.Maybe i should totally wipe my setup and start again??

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@redmick13 wrote:

No nothing like that has changed.I had an Apple based network. ie Timecapsule and two air Express units and they were replaced with three Synology MR220AC  units that's why i am at a loss.

It could be wifi interference.

Maybe try turning off the synology wifi (as a test) and see if that makes any difference.

redmick13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mate you nailed it.

I had my Basestation between my WiFi router and Modem .

As soon as i moved it to the other end of the desk and rebooted it it is now solid Blue again.

I think i was more fixated on the lack of signal my shed camera had.

More than likely it has always been low due to the distance but previously the basestation was a solid blue light so never bothered to focus on the low signal strength.

Thanks for everyone's input 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation