Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Rak9378
Star
Star

I have an ongoing issue with a CVR subscription for one of my Arlo Pro 3 cameras.   Despite having full signal the camera cannot keep a steady connection with the base.  This means that my timeline has a ton of dead space.  Sometimes its a few minutes and other times it can be a full night.   Sometimes it reconnects on its own and other times i have to force a reboot of the base.  To be clear I have had this system for just over a year and CVR has never worked well. 

I tried everything customer support has told me including change the WiFi channel on my router and moving the location of the SmartHub (I've tried several locations).  I've removed and then re-added the camera to the base station.  Nothing works.   The SmartHub is currently sitting 20 ft from the camera with nothing obstructing the line of sight other than the wall that the camera itself is mounted to.  According to the App my firmware is up to date: 1.16.5.6_864_3913242

The CVR subscription has been a complete waste of money.  I have a nuisance neighbor and need to have consistent recording.   I don't want to dump this system but I'm getting close to that point.  I'm open to any suggestions.  I was also considering buying a single Arlo Pro 4 and connecting it direct to WiFi instead of the SmartHub.  But I'm hesitant to spend even more money.

15 REPLIES 15
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rak9378,

Make sure your SmartHub is positioned as far away from the router as possible. It could be WiFi interference between the SmartHub and the router that is causing an issue with the camera staying connected.

Regarding Arlo Pro 4, keep in mind, for the camera to be able to use CVR, it must be synced to a SmartHub or Base Station.

JamesC

Rak9378
Star
Star

@JamesC 

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I have tried several locations including spots where the SmartHub was in a completely separate room from the router.  The same issue happens no matter where I have placed it.   Any other suggestions?  Is it possible I just have a bad hub?  Would it be worth trying the Ultra SmartHub VMB5000?

Thanks for the heads up on the Pro 4.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rak9378,

While I wouldn't say that it is likely that the issue is hardware related, it certainly is possible. If you have the ability to try a different SmartHub, this would be a good troubleshooting step to try.

JamesC

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I had this issue before and it turned out it was because i was using an after market power cord from amazon and it didnt supply enough volts all the time. Just incase yours isnt a genuine one
Rak9378
Star
Star

Thanks for the comment.  Unfortunately that's not the problem for me as I'm using the original power supply.   Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Ben135
Guide
Guide

Are you still having issues?

I have the pro 3 floodlight linked up to the VMB4540 and my CVR in intermittent, I have gaps of nothing recorded and it is very frustrating. I am paying $24.99NZD a month I want it to continuously record!

As you can see in the image from 9am onwards she isn't recording....?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ben135 wrote:

I have the pro 3 floodlight linked up to the VMB4540 and my CVR in intermittent, I have gaps of nothing recorded and it is very frustrating. 

As you can see in the image from 9am onwards she isn't recording....?

Is it always on AC power?  I am wondering because the screenshot shows the charge on the flood at 26%.

Ben135
Guide
Guide
Always connected to AC and 26% is my phone battery
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ben135 wrote:
Always connected to AC and 26% is my phone battery

Ok.  Does it always stop at 9 am?  Or is it random times?

Ben135
Guide
Guide
That is 9am
Not been installed long enough to know.
Ben135
Guide
Guide
Very disappointed with the Arlo set up connected to the smart hub.
My 3 cameras (floodlight pro 3) worked so much better wifi direct. I connected them to the smart hub as I wanted CVR on my drive and I’ve had nothing but issues. It drops out and doesn’t continuously record I’ll have gaps in my timeline and this afternoon I had to restart the smart hub as I had the solid amber light. All my equipment is under 4 months old and what I’ve paid and paying for the subscriptions I should have these issues. Before anyone blames my internet I have fibre max 950mb download and 500 upload. Please assist Arlo
carsoncat
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same CVR problems with my Pro 3 flood light camera and another Pro 3 camera as well.  I have a Pro 3 and two Pro 2's that are on the CVR program and they operate 24/7 flawlessly.  I need a resolution to this problem.  I get around 3 hours a day of CVR recording on the two problem cameras.

Rak9378
Star
Star

@Ben135   Sorry for the late reply.   My CVR has been much better.   Still not perfect though.   I was able to establish a more consistent connection basically through trial and error moving the hub around.  I found moving it just a couple of feet made a difference.   My firmware has also updated since my original post so not sure if that has anything to do with it.   That being said my connection is still not perfect.  I still get drops in my timeline but they are much less frequent and shorter in duration.  Still for the money the subscription costs this shouldn't happen. 

I'm also now having an issue with some other cameras because the hub is too far away from them (because I had to move it closer to the CVR camera).  So I've doubled down on my investment in Arlo and bought a 2 camera Ultra 2 and hub bundle.  I'm going to switch the CVR camera to the Ultra 2 camera and hub and move the old hub to the other side of the house for the cameras in the back.   I'll be setting it up this weekend so I'll try to report if there are any differences.  

Ben135
Guide
Guide
Apologies @Rak9378 for the late reply. Mine has improved somewhat however I have removed 2 of my 3 cameras from my smart hub and I just have them Wi-Fi direct, with one camera connected to the hub with CVR.

It is more stable than before and doesn’t drop out as much as before. It will still randomly drop out for between 10-20 minutes and I’m still not sure why.
Let me know if there is a fix for this as the amount we spend on the hardware and subscriptions it’s just not good enough to be this unstable.
Ben135
Guide
Guide

Yet again it is still dropping and is frustrating, the fix seems to be restarting the smart hub?

Is this an issue can someone from Arlo speak up 

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation