Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Best Video vs Optimized vs Best Battery Life on the Arlo Pro 3?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Koenigjay
Follower
Follower

I'm trying to find out what the difference between "Best Video," "Optimized," and "Best Battery Life" is. I also wanted to know that if my cameras are mounted, and I am exclusively using the battery, what resolution are the clips it sends recorded in? I just purchased these at Costco, and I have 90 days to try them and see how I like them, and I am concerned about battery life, but I don't want not to be taking advantage of the 2K resolution these cameras have.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The different settings are actually different resolutions. Since a lower resolution creates a smaller  video, the camera radio is used less, saving the battery. I prefer to use Best Video (highest resolution) and haven't ever seen a huge difference in battery life. Heavy usage would change that, though, so make sure you're staying in the spec of >5 minutes per day of recording and live viewing.

Tiffer777
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the Arlo 3 and the battery life SUCKS! We’re thinking of taking them back if we can’t resolve this. We paid $500 for the system at Costco and you think it would work better than this. We love the cameras, the recording, viewing, and that it s in color. We like that it’s wire free. But the batter on one was charged on 1/5/20 and yesterday it was at 48%. Today it’s at 41%. We’re not going to have to keep charging them every few weeks. My cousin has an older version and he said they have to charge it every 3 months. Ours has the light that goes on from time to time but I don’t see a way to change the sensitivity or brightness of the light, just the brightness of the video.
Phoney49
Luminary
Luminary
Go To SETTINGS, DEVICES, and select the camera. Go to video settings and low light. From there you can select brightnes of the light, 0 to 100%
Tiffer777
Aspirant
Aspirant

It doesn't have Arlo 3 to type in the model so I apologize.  I did change the light settings yesterday but since I wrote my first reply earlier, my battery has gone from 41% to 39%... How do I change the record settings so it doesn't just record for a max of 5 minutes when nothing is in front of the camera?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tiffer777 wrote:

How do I change the record settings so it doesn't just record for a max of 5 minutes when nothing is in front of the camera?

You can edit the rule for the camera(s) and set a fixed recording time.  https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation