Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station requires update every morning. Blocks live stream access until update.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
pent
Guide
Guide

Firmware: 1.16.3.4_707_c289687

Hardware: VMB4540r2

Serial Number: A0820574A173C

Recently, I've noticed that i'm not able to view my arlo pro 3 live streams unless I manually update the firmware on my base station. This happens every single morning. This forum post is very similar to my issue.

I was not able to see an actual solution in the above forum post. The update that I have to install every single morning is dated November 18, 2020 if that has any significance.

Since this has started to happen, I've also been noticing that I'm getting recordings for video recordings that I don't want to receive recordings for. For example, on all of my cameras I have the "all other motion" toggled off in my smart notifications menu, but I still get generic "motion" recordings.

Has anyone else run into this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pent
Guide
Guide

Replying back:

TLDR: power cycled fix the issue

Before doing a full reset of the base station and the cameras connected to it, I just disconnected the power from the base station, let it sit for about 30-45 seconds, connected the power back to the base station, and the update took. My new device info for my base station is:

Firmware: 1.16.4_2_751_e3618b1

Hardware: VMB4540r2

Serial Number: A0820574A173C

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd start by removing all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh. I think you have some weird thing happening that a reset would clear out. Be sure to note all settings, Modes, rules, etc. before doing this to speed the rebuild.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pent,

The firmware you have listed here isn't the most recent firmware available. Firmware updates should complete automatically overnight without any interaction needed on your part.

Is there anything out of the ordinary about your network setup that could be preventing the base station from fetching the update?

JamesC

pent
Guide
Guide

No I don't believe there is anything out of the ordinary with my network set-up.

Would you mind telling me what the latest firmware is for my base station? I will try to do a full re-set as another previous comment suggested as well and see if that helps anything.

Here is the update that I'm presented with every morning:

Version: 1.16.4.2_751

Release Date: Nov 18, 2020

Note: VMB4540 basestation 1.16.4.2_751, xagent 3.2.7-rc1

If I don't perform this update, I am not able to view the live stream of my cameras that are connected to this base station. My Pro 3 Floodlight is connected directly to wi-fi and I am able to live stream from that one without any problem.

pent
Guide
Guide

One more piece of information that might prove useful: 

• I just physically looked at my base station and the led indicator on it is consistently flashing from blue to orange. I'm not sure how long it's been doing that.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pent,

You can find the latest firmware versions here: Firmware Release Notes

A flashing blue to amber LED pattern indicates a firmware update is in progress. 

It sounds like something is preventing the firmware update from completing. You might try factory resetting and removing the base station from your account, then adding it back and seeing if the firmware update completes (note that this will require a resync of all cameras).

How can I reset my Arlo SmartHub or base station to the default values?

JamesC

pent
Guide
Guide

Okay, so according to the release notes - the update that I'm presented with every morning (1.16.4.2_751) is the latest firmware update. And for some reason, the update is not "taking" on my base station - this is what the blue to orange flashing LED is indicating.

Am I understanding correctly?

I will try this weekend to do a full reset of the base station and see if that fixes anything. Please do not mark this as solved until I respond further.

pent
Guide
Guide

Replying back:

TLDR: power cycled fix the issue

Before doing a full reset of the base station and the cameras connected to it, I just disconnected the power from the base station, let it sit for about 30-45 seconds, connected the power back to the base station, and the update took. My new device info for my base station is:

Firmware: 1.16.4_2_751_e3618b1

Hardware: VMB4540r2

Serial Number: A0820574A173C

rogloz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here:  After update firmware 1.16.4.3_816 the older firmware 1.16.4.2_751 is to see. Every morning Groundhog day.  The update seems to be successful, also a after a new start. Blinking orange persists. The next morning: Hurrah, an update is coming... Same procedure every day...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rogloz,

Have you tried both troubleshooting steps posted above?

-Power the base station down for 30-45 seconds, power back on

-Factory Reset

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation