Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Bad battery?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Cloudvk
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently bought a 3 camera Arlo Pro 3 set. One of the cameras has a battery that is draining significantly more quickly than the others. Whereas with two of my cameras I’ve lost only 4-5% over 2 weeks, the camera that is draining quickly will lose ~5-10% in a day.

I’m arming for roughly 12-14 hours a day and usually get 1-2 recordings. Power management, video settings all default.

One observation is that I am losing battery quickly even while disarmed. I have seen other posts explaining that cameras in areas with lots of motion will lose battery more quickly. I do not believe my camera falls into that category.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Does anyone have experience with a bad battery?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Signal quality/strength could be an issue. If not, hardware issues can only be resolved by contacting support - use the link at the bottom here.

Cloudvk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. Signal is at full bars. Camera isn’t much farther away (just a matter of a few feet) than the others which work fine.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap cameras around to see if it's the location or camera.

Cloudvk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks! Trying that now. I did swap batteries between two cameras and based on that round of troubleshooting, it may not be a bad battery after all.

I’ve swapped cameras to determine if it’s the position or the camera itself that is causing trouble.
6Cams
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Six Arlo Pro 3 Cameras in use all day since a month. All the batteries are behaving randomly. I have charge for 15 days in some of them. I have charge for 7 days on others. I am not sure what is going on. Arlo Pro 3 has definitely battery draining issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

6Cams,

Usage and signal strength play a large role in battery consumption. Take a look here for more information: How can I extend my Arlo camera's battery life?

JamesC

Cloudvk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks all. It looks like the constant factor in my draining issue is the camera itself. I performed the following troubleshooting:

- swapped batteries. I observed faster draining on the camera where I was originally seeing the issue, meaning the battery is not at fault.

- swapped cameras. I put the quicker draining camera in another location, and swapped the camera from that location to where the quicker draining camera was. I still saw draining on the camera where I originally saw the issue, meaning it must be the camera.

Any thoughts as to why this may be the case?

Thank you everyone!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cloudvk,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

berlynski
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

In the last 2 weeks for no apparent reason, my 2 camera batteries have gone from a fresh 100% charge to 15% within 1 week, with minimal motion and a fixed schedule.

Previously, the batteries would last 3 months before requiring a charge.

No alterations were made to options.

Please advise??

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

berlynski,

How far away is the camera from the SmartHub? What does the signal strength icon show for the camera? Poor signal strength can cause increased battery consumption if the camera is struggling to maintain it's connect with the SmartHub.

For tips on extending battery life, take a look here: How can I extend my Arlo camera's battery life?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation