Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo smart hub after power cut

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Gear12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi all, I am looking to buy the Arlo pro 3 two camera and smart hub system, I have been told that if your property suffers a power cut and once the re-connection of the power, although the router starts back up the Arlo smart hub won’t. I have two properties and if I am away and the house suffers a power cut the camera system won’t be doing what I purchased it for.
Could anyone please enlighten me if this is the case . Thank you in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dannybear
Master
Master
The quickest and easiest workaround is to install a smart plug on the base station that can be remotely controlled from your phone. This would allow you to power cycle if the base hangs at any time.

Some suggest using a ups to hold up the base station and router during the power outage.

If you’re computer savvy you can try getting into the router web interface and setting the wifi channel to a fixed channel that is quiet and setting the IP address to a fixed value. Doing this removes the problem of the router wifi channel jumping around and the base station and cameras trying to track it as well as have the base station not working because the dhcp ip request fails since the router is slow to boot up.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Dannybear
Master
Master
The quickest and easiest workaround is to install a smart plug on the base station that can be remotely controlled from your phone. This would allow you to power cycle if the base hangs at any time.

Some suggest using a ups to hold up the base station and router during the power outage.

If you’re computer savvy you can try getting into the router web interface and setting the wifi channel to a fixed channel that is quiet and setting the IP address to a fixed value. Doing this removes the problem of the router wifi channel jumping around and the base station and cameras trying to track it as well as have the base station not working because the dhcp ip request fails since the router is slow to boot up.
Gear12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Dannybear
Thank you so much for your reply , I’m going to go for your first idea with the smart plug ,it’s the easiest way for me.
Kind Regards Keith
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gear12 wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply , I’m going to go for your first idea with the smart plug ,it’s the easiest way for me.

@Dannybear's smartplug suggest is a good place to start.

One limitation is that the cameras can use a lot of power if they can't find the wifi signal.  So you might want to add a UPS at some point to protect the router and base.  Then the cameras would stay connected, and if the ISP internet connection remains up, you'd still get recordings during the power failure.

You can continue to use the smartplug (just connect it in to the UPS output).  

Gear12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi dannybear ,
Thank you for your reply , the smart plug is the answer for me because I don’t have enough knowledge to set a UPS , I wouldn’t know where to start. I am willing to give it a try if you wouldn’t mind explaining what I need to do I would be really grateful, but please keep in mind that I’m a novice.
Kind Regards Keith
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A UPS is easier since all you do is plug in the UPS and then plug in the modem, router and base on the UPS. It's just a battery inline with the power.

A wireless switch needs to be connected to your WiFi to make it useful. Certainly not hard - just use the device's app to get things working.

Gear12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi
Hi Jguerdat
If that’s all it takes I’m sure it’s not beyond me, so I’ve had a quick look on eBay and there’s different powers and makes ,I suppose the more powerfull the ups is the longer the battery lasts in the event of a power out.
If so which brand would you recommend for me ,
Kind Regards Keith
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gear12 wrote:
I suppose the more powerfull the ups is the longer the battery lasts in the event of a power out.

Correct.  How long are your typical power outages?

Gear12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Stephen thank you , yes between 20 to 30 minutes, we live in a small village and prone to regular outages we’ve had the odd one lasting an hour or two .
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gear12 wrote:
Hi Stephen thank you , yes between 20 to 30 minutes, we live in a small village and prone to regular outages we’ve had the odd one lasting an hour or two .

Then I suggest getting something with at least 425 VA capacity.  That would easily power your router, a modem (if you have one) and your smarthub (assuming a 25 watt total load with a run time of at least an hour).

As far as brands go, to some degree this depends on your geography.  Eaton is popular, as is APC.  Personally I use CyberPower.

Gear12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Stephen
Thank you so much for your assistance along with all other members, I am now in a better position to purchase all the equipment that I need for my cctv system.
Kind Regards Keith
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation