Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo's dependency on Adobe Flash Player

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
binary1
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. Does anyone including Arlo employees know of any plans to migrate the browser portal located at https://my.arlo.com/#/home to use HTML5, WebGL, etc instead of Adobe Flash to watch live feeds/videos?

Adobe announced the end of Flash in 2020 back in 2017 and even today, some browsers don't play well with Flash Player. I occasionally get the complaint from browsers that Flash Player is not up to date even though they are. Please see Adobe's announcement at

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

From Google, https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/saying-goodbye-flash-chrome/

Any roadmap news/update would be appreciated because I love the desktop web browser experience as it gives me 24/27" video experience as compared to my smartphone's teensy tiny video screens to see what is happening around my property.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@binary1 wrote:

Any roadmap news/update would be appreciated because I love the desktop web browser experience as it gives me 24/27" video experience as compared to my smartphone's teensy tiny video screens to see what is happening around my property.

They haven't said anything recently - but some time ago they did say they would shift to html5 before flash was deprecated in the browser (Dec 2020).

FWIW, The "update flash" messages are often misleading, as you will get them when flash is blocked by the browser.  Also Chrome and Edge use internal flash players, they don't use the adobe plug-in at all.  From your post, it sounds like you do know how to unblock flash for the browsers you use.  But if that's not the case, post back with the specific browser.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@binary1 wrote:

They haven't said anything recently - but some time ago they did say they would shift to html5 before flash was deprecated in the browser (Dec 2020).

FWIW, The "update flash" messages are often misleading, as you will get them when flash is blocked by the browser.  Also Chrome and Edge use internal flash players, they don't use the adobe plug-in at all.  From your post, it sounds like you do know how to unblock flash for the browsers you use.  But if that's not the case, post back with the specific browser.

mopperle
Tutor
Tutor

I'm also constantly asked for the latest version of Flashplayer, which is installed and active (not blocked) in FF and Chrome.
But anyway it is unbelievable that arlo is not able to build a webservice without using such a sh.. piece of software like Adobe Flashplayer. It is common sense in the IT industry that it is one of the most unsecure software products. So please get rid of it. Until then I can not recommend Arlo to other users.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@mopperle wrote:

I'm also constantly asked for the latest version of Flashplayer, which is installed and active (not blocked) in FF and Chrome.
But anyway it is unbelievable that arlo is not able to build a webservice without using such a sh.. piece of software like Adobe Flashplayer. It is common sense in the IT industry that it is one of the most unsecure software products. So please get rid of it. Until then I can not recommend Arlo to other users.

Are you asking for help around this?

Or just having a (justifiable) complaint about Arlo's tardiness in dropping Flash?

If the former:

Cannot view Live Feeds - Flash problem AGAIN! - Arlo Communities

If the latter, add your vote here:

Arlo Idea Exchange - Arlo Communities

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation