Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 3: not recording through glass?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
shadowsjc
Guide
Guide
I have an arlo pro 3 wireless camera set up indoors but facing outside to the street through a window. However I never get any alerts or recording notifications. Does the arlo pro 3 detect motion and record through glass? I think I read that the pro 2 does not, but I am not sure about the pro 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted in these forums many times, PIR sensors do not work through glass since the IR needed for detection is blocked. The camera must be outside or use another camera to trigger it with cross-triggering. The Q camera can detect through glass since it uses pixel-change detection.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted in these forums many times, PIR sensors do not work through glass since the IR needed for detection is blocked. The camera must be outside or use another camera to trigger it with cross-triggering. The Q camera can detect through glass since it uses pixel-change detection.

shadowsjc
Guide
Guide
How do you enable cross triggering? I have another pro 3 outside that I can leverage
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Edit your modes and rules. Assuming you're using the default Armed mode, edit the rule for the outdoor camera and go down to Add Device to select the indoor camera. Configure it to record as needed. Be sure to save the settings.

MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

my outdoor arlo pro3 often gets triggered by motion indoors through the patio glass 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MVT wrote:

my outdoor arlo pro3 often gets triggered by motion indoors through the patio glass 

Yeah, but generally speaking it doesn't work (at least not reliably).  It does depend on the details of the glass - plate glass does work better than double/triple pane windows (especially if the multi-pane windows have argon between the panes).

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation