Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo camera went offline and seems to be leaking a clear fluid

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
LTribbs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't have time to find the model number but have a general question--One of our Arlo cameras suddenly went offline.  I did the troubleshooting and tried to sync it without success.  My main worry is there is a clear fluid leaking out of the battery compartment.  Is this dangerous?  It didn't burn my hands but it continues to have a slow leak.  I am afraid to keep opening it.  What should I do?  We bought this about 2 years ago.  One of the cameras did not work at that time and Arlo sent us a replacement, so you shoould find me in your system.  My email is <redacted>.  Thank you for your help.  

Laura

7 REPLIES 7
LTribbs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am waiting for a response, and replying to make sure you received my message.  Thank you so much.

Laura

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

This is a user forum - Arlo mods sometimes will chime in, but this is mostly users helping other users.

I've redacted your email to protect privacy.

@LTribbs wrote:

My main worry is there is a clear fluid leaking out of the battery compartment.  Is this dangerous?   

Hard to say, but the fact that it didn't burn is encouraging.

Your camera either has 4 CR-123 batteries, or sealed Lithium batteries from Arlo.  I'd open it up, and remove the battery for now.  See if the fluid is actually coming from the battery, or if it is coming from the camera electronics.  If it is coming from the battery, then safely dispose of it and replace it.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is this camera outdoors? Is it possible this is water? If the camera was not securely sealed, it's possible water could have gotten inside the battery compartment, which could also explain whey the camera went offline.

JamesC

LTribbs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not received a response yet.  Can you please provide next steps.  Thank you!

Laura

LTribbs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did this but it is hard to tell.  Has this happened to Arlo wire free cameras before and if so, is it the battery or the camera casing?  What are next steps?  How long does an Arlo battery lifespan last?  I don't want to purchase a whole new camera unless I know.  Thank you!

LTribbs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for responding James.  It is an outdoor camera and is under an overhang, so no direct exposure to rain.  I completely wiped out the casing and battery when I first noticed it, wondering if somehow rain could have gotten in.  But then it kept leaking this clear fluid.  I have wiped it out several times over a week now.  What do you think I should do?  Thanks again!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This sounds like water got into the battery compartment due to the camera being improperly sealed. Always make sure the camera is properly secured and the housing is completely closed when mounting the camera. If water entered the battery compartment, it's possible this has damaged the hardware, resulting in the camera being offline.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation