Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
dan0959
Tutor
Tutor

I just got done chatting with support.  I received a message "Low Temperature.  Your device needs to warm up before you can use it".  Apparently the solution is to bring the cameras indoors to allow the batteries warm-up and then reinstall them outdoors.  I live in Wisconsin and this is Winter.  The batteries will be cold again in a matter of hours.  This is not a reasonable solution.  I spent a lot of time selecting what I thought was a very good security camera system.  No where can I find disclosed these cameras only work in mild weather settings.  Shouldn't a "security camera" provide "security" all the time? What is the company doing to provide a long-term solution?  Does anyone know of a solution, other than warming the batteries, when the temperature is below freezing and, in my particular case, below "0"?    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted in the specs, Arlo cameras stop operating at -4F. You can try using the outdoor AC power cord to power the camera - the extra heat caused by the camera operating all the time may keep the camera working.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted in the specs, Arlo cameras stop operating at -4F. You can try using the outdoor AC power cord to power the camera - the extra heat caused by the camera operating all the time may keep the camera working.

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I have had this ussue in the uk, the power cord definitely helps, if its still an issue return them and get the ultra's as they have a larger temperature working range
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Scrap that its only the higher temperature range thats different
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Sorry scrap that again, i didnt realise it was -4 f, in the uk i get the warning at -4c saying my cameras can no longer us a/c power as the low temperature will damage charging the batteries .
So a/c power wont help you either as it will cut out before your minimum overall working temperature
dan0959
Tutor
Tutor

Shaun1234, thanks for trying to offer some solutions.  I lost my cameras at at 5 degrees Fahrenheit; -15 degrees Celcius.  Overnight went to -15 Fahrenheit.  It does not seem there is an answer other than bringing the batteries inside to be warmed.  Of course, this doesn't make sense as I will get the low temperature warning again, soon after I return them to the outdoors.  I am quite frustrated I did not learn of this limitation until after I made the purchase.  

dcfox1
Master
Master

I had ring and looked at other cams and don't think any of them went to -15F. Mabey a degree or so lower then -4F but not much. You probably have a rash of dead car batteries in your are at those prolonged temps unless insulated well. 

dan0959
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for sharing that information.  I will research this a bit more myself.  If this is the case, then I will just have to accept how the current Wisconsin deep freeze affects these battery powered cameras.   

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to hi-lite..

The batteries in all the arlo cameras will NOT charge if below freezing ; about 32F.... doing so can damage the cells.

BUT, the cameras should operating to -4F ( -20C ) .....( +/- a couple of degrees due to components )

So the solutions are ( IMO ) to have extra battery packs with charge station as if it is really cold for long times below 32F, then even a solar panel will not work and the only solution is battery swapping.

As to the camera itself, below -4F , there is not much to be done... tho some have said keeping ac power to the camera keeps it warm enough, I have not tested this.

What I do is use a couple of Q cameras the face out thru windows... since they use pixel detection the glass isn't an issue ( tho the night vision can't be used due to reflection )

As a PS... I've had the original Arlo HD cameras down to -12F ( they use 4-123 cells ) and tho there was a battery voltage drop due to cold, they functioned fine.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Bobr267
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wish I had known that the Pro 3s don't work in the cold before I bought them.   It was -4 here last night so the cameras were not working.   That's a fat lot of good for a security camera.

dan0959
Tutor
Tutor

I appreciate everyone's suggestions.  If the sub-zero temperatures affect all outdoor mounted wireless camera brands, then I get it.  However, if the issue is specific to Arlo brand, they need to figure it out.  Sub-zero temperatures during a Wisconsin winter (and other northern states) are not out of the norm.  Somehow I missed this limitation in the specifications when selecting Arlo for my security cameras.   It's just a bit frustrating to have a "security camera" only work when the temperature is above zero degrees F.  This being said, I like the cameras in every other way short of this limitation.  

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation