Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 3 "Firmware update is available" but doesn't update

Discussion stats
slash128
Luminary
Luminary

One of my Arlo Pro 3 cameras keeps showing "Firmware update is available" but never completes the update. I have tried power cycling and also removing and adding to the base station. There are no active modes enabled for this camera, mode is disarmed. When I attempt to updated the firmware the camera LED starts alternately blinking blue and orange for a few seconds, then fast blinks blue for a few seconds more, then goes back to "Firmware update is available". Any advice on how to resolve? The camera is unusable while the firmware message is on the screen.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

After further investigation, in many of these cases, it was found that these firmware updates were failing due to poor connectivity/battery life with the camera in question.

To be sure your camera can successfully receive the update, please follow these steps:

1. Fully charge the battery

2. Bring the camera close to your base station/router

3. Initiate the firmware update via the Arlo Secure mobile app and watch the LED behavior on the camera. You should see an alternating blue/amber LED. If you do not see this LED behavior, attempt the update again through the app.

JamesC

70 REPLIES 70
cruzo406
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here.!!!
I have had the issue for maybe a couple of weeks, but finally decided to work on it yesterday.

3 Pro cams and only 1 is working. The other 2 are stuck on the message to update firmware.

Tried everything with hub and cameras and nothing fixes the issue.

Factory resets of everything, app delete/reinstall

Use different browsers on laptop; Samsung tablet and iphone

Installed old Arlo Netgear cams and some work and others get to the same issue.

Also spent so far more than 2 hrs with 2 different tech chat support. They are useless. 

This is 100% an Arlo issue. not a user problem.
Because I cant get it fixed, I just cancelled my subscription until further notice.

I also have Ring cams, so Im thinking of expanding my ring system and throw away Arlo cams.

Good luck everyone!

Carrie2020
Aspirant
Aspirant

Camera sharing. Shared phone device not recognised

Ben2001
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • 2 out of my 3 Arlo Pro 3 cameras ( linked to Smart Base station) were suffered from loop of asking me to upgrade firmware. I clicked upgrade firmware and the camera has brinked amber light for upgrade and rebooted automatically.  however the app still prompt me for firmware upgrade and I cannot view the current view in the app cause blocked by the "firmware upgrade" message.

i have searched old threads and spent half day trying methods suggested, like factory reset for cameras or base station, unarm both cameras and base station when upgrade, unlinking all and link to account again etc.  however the problem still persists.

i hope someone can share any remedial measures to me pls.  thank you

Dawnsprute
Aspirant
Aspirant

2 of my 6 cameras won’t update the new firmware update. I’ve tried several times to get them to take it. It comes up with error code 4209. 

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Still happening today. No updates from support...

jlfisher
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got through on support chat and was given the same run around of reset and retry--blah blah blah. This is b.s. The $$ spent for this setup and then the monthly cost. This is clearly an Arlo issue that is not being addressed by the company. I will be trying to factory reset everything 1 more time tonight and then will cancel everything and look into other options. This is unacceptable customer service from a home security product company.

UPDATE911
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im having the same problem with 4 arlo pro 3. I did everything mentioned at least 5 time still no update. the led on the cameras go blue/ amber, then nothing,  then rapid blue. when its finished it still has update label

jlfisher
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yea, I've tried everything at least 10 times now. Customer "support" if you can call it that-I'm pretty sure it's just an autogenerated system-just tells you to repeat all those steps and nothing else. I loved my arlo system up until a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure they are trying to force people to upgrade cameras. I cancelled my subscription last night and am looking into other options since I have 3 weeks left from my month that was just paid for. Simplisafe seems to be pretty good and similar to what arlo used to be. AND they actually have customer service you can call and actually talk to someone if needed and a few more security add ons/monitoring plans if wanted. 

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Arlo Support - ARE YOU LISTENING? Cameras still unusable...

CMBerry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Chatted with Arlo support today as I am having the same issue.  Here is s snippet from the support chat - hope it helps:

6/13/2023 1:02 ET

After checking the details, I see that all the affected devices are Arlo Pro3 cameras. Currently, there is an ongoing issue with the Pro 3 cameras firmware update. Our team is aware of this issue and currently working on it.

I completely understand and I have made the team aware of your case as well. As mentioned, the issue is with a few of the Pro 3 cameras firmware. Please do not worry, our team is working on a fix.

Currently, we do not have an estimated time for that, but it will be fixed soon. You can keep this case number for your reference: 43xxxx.

When is EOL for these cameras?

I'm sorry. Since it is not part of the EOL now, we do not have any information about when it will go on EOL. If in case the cameras move to EOL, the customers will be notified.

I will make sure to share your feedback about this and I understand the time you have spent on this. I apologize for the inconvenience.

As a recap, you reached out to us about the issues with the firmware update for the Arlo Pro 3 Cameras. I checked and informed about the ongoing issue with the firmware updates.

CMBerry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Only half of my cameras, all same model have been able to install the latest firmware update on my Pro 3 cameras. After more than one week, I contacted support via chat.  Here is the reply.  Hope it helps the rest of you that are frustrated.

Chatted with Arlo support today as I am having the same issue.  Here is s snippet from the support chat - hope it helps:

6/13/2023 1:02 ET

After checking the details, I see that all the affected devices are Arlo Pro3 cameras. Currently, there is an ongoing issue with the Pro 3 cameras firmware update. Our team is aware of this issue and currently working on it.

I completely understand and I have made the team aware of your case as well. As mentioned, the issue is with a few of the Pro 3 cameras firmware. Please do not worry, our team is working on a fix.

Currently, we do not have an estimated time for that, but it will be fixed soon. You can keep this case number for your reference: 43xxxx.

When is EOL for these cameras?

I'm sorry. Since it is not part of the EOL now, we do not have any information about when it will go on EOL. If in case the cameras move to EOL, the customers will be notified. I will make sure to share your feedback about this and I understand the time you have spent on this. I apologize for the inconvenience.

As a recap, you reached out to us about the issues with the firmware update for the Arlo Pro 3 Cameras. I checked and informed about the ongoing issue with the firmware updates.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Appreciate that, CMBerry. Just wish Support would communicate here so we knew what was going on. Thank you for passing that along.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is continuing to investigate reports of this issue for users who continue to experience this behavior after trying the troubleshooting steps pinned above. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information available to share.

JamesC

ndoab
Guide
Guide

Probably a ditinct batch of Pro 3 cams

I am running a mix on cams and have 2 x Pro 3's. One works and one doesnt.

Pro 3 not updating - A093997DA48A1

Pro 3 working - A093997XAB591

Maija
Guide
Guide

Tried again today. I have the camera next to basestation and tried to update with the app. Blue/amber lights are blinking but the problem continues.

Camera still records and sends it to cloud but the livefeed can not be used because the update notice is on the screen.

I will leave it here over night and hope for a miracle. 

Only1zster
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've been dealing with this also. 2 of my 3 cameras updated just fine. One Pro 3 just won't do it.

1) I've tried updating via the app, with power connected.  *fail*

2) I've tried updating via the app with power disconnected and battery at 100%. *fail*

3) I've tried to update via my online account with power connected. *fail*

4) I've tried to update via my online account with power disconnected and batter at 100%. *fail*

5) I've moved the camera directly next to the hub and repeated all four steps listed above. *fail*

6) I've pulled the battery, let the system catch up and show that it's offline, installed the battery, wait for it to show then try the update. *fail*

7) I've removed the camera, and reinstalled it.  Tried to update. *fail*

I'm not going to reboot the hub because I have 2 cameras that still work. I don't want that to screw up those. 

And still no word from Arlo. 

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

It seems there has been some progress. This morning I am able to access the live video. The firmware update has not applied, and still fails, but at least the interface isn't blocking live stream access right now. Anyone else seeing the same?

Only1zster
Aspirant
Aspirant

@slash128 I'm showing the same thing now. I can access live video, and if I go to the camera settings, I see that there is an update.   

CMBerry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interestingly today, the Firmware update disappeared from my app screen for all cameras however, when I access the device info (for the cameras that were not working)  it still says Update Available.  But the camera seemed to have resumed their functionality.  Anyone else?

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Yep, same thing I am seeing. Update still not applying but at least I can access the camera.

Maija
Guide
Guide

Lucky you. My situation remains the same.

One camera works normally, the other records but I cant use the livefeed.

cruzo406
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

seems Arlo has fixed the issue. Please reboot and reinstall everything. Hub and cameras.
Because Arlo system was not working, I purchased and installed Eufy s330 system.

It has serious problems with recording starts too late or problems detecting obvious things like vehicles.

Now that Arlo is working, I will wait a few days to make sure it continues working and if so, I will return the Eufy system.

For me Arlo, has better quality than ring and eufy, but Ring has better detection, early recording and better app for seeing recordings, so I will keep ring and arlo systems.

Good luck

CHEAPaWAY
Guide
Guide

I have 3 that aren't updating and have tried everything but resetting my basestation and 24 cameras and starting the whole process again... considering there all up on building including the hub...

Surely there's a fix for this?

cruzo406
Tutor
Tutor

Yes. All of mine are now working.

You have to remove all devices in the app, reset and reinstall everything.

sample pic

Capture.JPG

Sfontaine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same happened to me 5 different times with this firmware update. Total BS

Discussion stats