Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Stewieau
Aspirant
Aspirant

This has probably already been discussed somewhere on here but all the treads I seem to find don't really give me the answer I'm after.

I want to stop one of my cameras from recording/detecting animals. I know there's the "smart notification" setting which I have switch off to stop the notifications coming through but I want to stop the camera detecting and recording our pet dog. Whenever she gets in the cameras view, it sets it off and can record up to 2-3hrs a day of 5min snippets of her walking about the yard and this is causing the battery to drain much quicker than the other two outdoor cameras I have set up.

When I first installed the camera, it didn't seem to detect the dog so much but after the first recharge, it won't stop detecting her - I even uninstalled/reinstalled it to the hub with no luck.

Do any other users have any suggestions for this problem? I need the camera set to record for security purposes so turning off is not an option.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MVT wrote:

have an outlet within 25'?  spend $50 and get a magnetic outdoor power adapter and stop worrying about climbing a ladder and changing batteries.

Getting a solar panel might be another option.

Either way,  @Stewieau could then use activity zones in addition to smart notifications to reduce the recording flood.  Though activity zones won't help battery life (which is why the panel or outdoor adapter would help).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, not much can be done re the recordings... the way Smart works is that when motion is detected, it records...depending on the settings you may not get notified but that’s only after the far end determines what triggered the recording...either way the recording is done.

To fix the issue, you may have to lower the sense of the trigger ( esp if dog is smaller ) but still set off on larger persons...

OR 

move the location of camera

OR

maybe ( may not work ) flip the camera over, then in settings flip the view ...as the top part of the PIR device is less sensitive 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

have an outlet within 25'?  spend $50 and get a magnetic outdoor power adapter and stop worrying about climbing a ladder and changing batteries.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MVT wrote:

Getting a solar panel might be another option.

Either way,  @Stewieau could then use activity zones in addition to smart notifications to reduce the recording flood.  Though activity zones won't help battery life (which is why the panel or outdoor adapter would help).

MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

smart notifications aren't always "smart".  Arlo doesn't know what to call a spider web blowing gently in the breeze near a camera.  it goes from generic motion to animal, person and my favorite a vehicle on the patio.....

Stewieau
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks everyone who provided advice and recommendations. I’m going to try out the solar panel option. We live in QLD so shouldn’t have an issue with it staying charged
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation