Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I recently picked up an Arlo pro 3 camera, to go with my arlo pro 2 camera system. I now have a total of 6 cameras. I already own the charging tube and spare batteries, but of course, the pro 3 needs a different battery (and base charger if you want to have a spare battery) which is fine. I get it.  However, what I don't understand, is why this design is so difficult to swap a battery in.  My arlo pro 2 cameras, on the screw in mount, I can push the button - pop it open, swap the battery, and be done in seconds.  My arlo pro 3 camera, I press the button on the bottom, and it doesn't do jack. I know its releasing something but the camera is so tight in the housing I almost have to break the camera tapping it and shaking it before it FINALLY comes out enough where I can grab it and pull it out. This is just a horrible user experience. Maybe its because its brand new, but I spent about 15 minutes fighting with it just to put in the initial battery. I can only imagine how much trouble this is going to be on my house, while on a ladder trying to swap this battery. Is there something I can do to this to make it easier to release? Is this thing defective? I'm seriously contemplating returning this thing to best buy. Anyone else have this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the suggestions. I returned it and exchanged it for another one. The new one seems to "spring" much better so I'm good  for now.

I really liked the old design better, made swapping the battery a piece of cake.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you try a silicon lube ( not petroleum ) on the seal area.

( even wipe on a bit of cooking spray from your finger )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@kmiller8821 wrote:

My arlo pro 3 camera, I press the button on the bottom, and it doesn't do jack. I know its releasing something but the camera is so tight in the housing I almost have to break the camera tapping it and shaking it before it FINALLY comes out enough where I can grab it and pull it out.

The idea behind the design is that it magically triggers the internal spring mechamism that is supposed to push the camera out of the housing.

As you've discovered, the spring is a design failure.

I came across this solution – nothing to do with the seal area – when some else arrived here with the same complaint. It had hit me too.

After cursing my weak fingernails and trying a rubber suction widget on the front, I decided to look at the mechanism inside the camera. 

When you have eventually persuade the beast to come out, find the "springy bit" at the back. Tight isn't it? Hold the camera bit and push the back on to a hard surface. Press the moving bit in and out several times. No need for lubricants unless it really doesn't "unstick".

Only some of my cameras had the problem. It sorted out all the stiff ones I own.

Try it and let us know if it helps.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the suggestions. I returned it and exchanged it for another one. The new one seems to "spring" much better so I'm good  for now.

I really liked the old design better, made swapping the battery a piece of cake.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation