Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 Range using Orbi

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Fitnessmentor
Follower
Follower
In a large, older house (4500 sf). Also have a in-law suite over detached garage.

Have Orbi router and one satellite on first floor, one wall plug-in satellite on 2nd, a regular satellite in in-law suite, and an outdoor satellite in an outbuilding (didn’t really help boost signal to in-law suite so moved it). For the most part, our Wifi is good. I have three kids doing Zoom school at the same time (one using in-law space), plus my wife working from home using it. No Wifi issues to speak of.

Set up 1st camera in a 4 camera system last night. SmartHub blinking orange out of gate. Move it as far from router as possible. Didn’t help. Opened ports 443 and 80 (I believe that’s what they specified). Didn’t help. Rebooted router. This morning solid blue so will continue to monitor.

But in reading forums, I’m learning that the range is related to SmartHub, not Wifi. Perhaps bad assumption on my part... I figured cameras would merely need Wifi from my (Orbis). This gives me little hope for a camera to reach the in-law suite. The idea of adding another base station and/or power line extended doesn’t thrill me as I’ve already paid a lot of money for the 4 camera system.

In reading, it appears that the newer products (doorbell, ultra?, spotlights) can work off of either wifi or SmartHub?

If that’s the case and their range is better and more flexible out of the gate, this system is going back to Best Buy. I’ll wait for Arlo 4 or might look into Ultra (though reviews seemed to favor 3) to be released (maybe that’s why 3 was discounted, cause 4 is slated for released).

Not sure why Arlo would release a product so dependent on a week base station / smart hub range. I know not everyone needs the range I would like, but this makes it nearly impossible without a major financial outlay for those of us who do. If you want a camera at the front driveway? Forget it.

Anyway, any feedback or updates anyone can provide would be appreciated. Going to hold off installing the other cameras until I have a better understanding of what to expect or what I can do.

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TMK, The Arlo Pro 3 camera requires a SmartHub/Base Station. It cannot be synced without a SmartHub/Base Station

Maybe in future.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation