Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Franklyn3
Tutor
Tutor

Does the Arlo Pro 3 require a subscription to record to the cloud. We have the Arlo original and it still records but the Pro 3 just stopped a few months after we purchased.  Of course Arlo does not answer the phone.  We have 6 Arlo cameras.  May be time to look at other systems. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Franklyn3 wrote:

Does the Arlo Pro 3 require a subscription to record to the cloud.

Yes.  That began back in 2018 (when the Ultra camera was launched).

There is text on the box that says this, but it is often in the fine print.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Dannybear
Master
Master
Arlo should place a warning label on the box to clearly identify the paid subscription requirements for cloud storage and support.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Franklyn3 wrote:

Does the Arlo Pro 3 require a subscription to record to the cloud.

Yes.  That began back in 2018 (when the Ultra camera was launched).

There is text on the box that says this, but it is often in the fine print.

Franklyn3
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you.  We figured since our Arlo original cameras gave 30 seconds of recording, they all did.  I see a USB port on the back of the base station.  Is that for recording to a flash drive or connecting to a computer.  There are no memory card slots in the cameras for recording.  

There seem to be many changes with Arlo Secure and the app updates that are not apparent when we do app updates.  Gets confusing.  For instance, now, only one login into to the app at a time.  Not multiple devices.  Constant changes that effect the user interface and experience make the product  less attractive.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Franklyn3 wrote:

I see a USB port on the back of the base station.  Is that for recording to a flash drive or connecting to a computer.  There are no memory card slots in the cameras for recording.  

That's for local recording.  If you have a smarthub (VMB4540), you can see the local recordings in the app (but not the browser).  If you have an older hub (VMB4000, VMB4500), then you'd need to eject the drive and plug it into a PC to view them.

@Franklyn3 wrote:

For instance, now, only one login into to the app at a time.  

That's been true as long as I've used Arlo.

@Franklyn3 wrote:

Not multiple devices.

If you just mean using the app on two mobile devices (or browsers) at the same time, then Arlo's solution to that has always been friend access.

FWIW, I agree that just allowing multiple simultaneous logins would be good.

Franklyn3
Tutor
Tutor

I got a Sandisk 64GB thumb drive formatted FAT32.  It worked fine in the VMB4540.  However, it only works when I am on my home wifi.  It requires a VPN and/or port forwarding in order to access recordings away from home.  I understand port forwarding has security risks so I am back to square one.

Any suggestions on accessing the local thumb drive recordings away from home.  I realize a subscription solves all this but over time these costs add up.  On my original Arlo cameras I get 30 sec of data saved for 7 days.  Unfortunately, I missed that change when ordering the Pro 3 System. 

I would like to stay with Arlo since in general they are reliable and have a good app.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What brand router do you use? Does it support a VPN connection directly (Netgear supplies an OpenVPN connection but that fails with Arlo for some reason)? 

While port forwarding does create an opening into your network, sometimes "security by obscurity" is an acceptable risk.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Does it support a VPN connection directly (Netgear supplies an OpenVPN connection but that fails with Arlo for some reason)? 

Not all Netgear routers support OpenVPN, but several do.  

FWIW, Arlo works with OpenVPN on iOS devices.  There have been issues with Android though.

@jguerdat wrote:

While port forwarding does create an opening into your network, sometimes "security by obscurity" is an acceptable risk.

You aren't depending on "security by obscurity". 

The forwarded traffic is all directed to the base station.  You are depending on the base station security - in particular, that it will block any indirect attacks on your other network devices.

If you go this route, make sure you reserve the IP address for the base station in the router.  Otherwise, rebooting the system (for instance after a power failure) could result in the traffic being forwarded to the wrong device on your network.

Franklyn3
Tutor
Tutor

The router is from Comcast.  It does allow port forwarding and does allow the use of VPNs.

Unfortunately this is where my skill runs out.  I will have to investigate how to set up a VPN.  

When I open the port forwarding option in the router, there are all kinds of warnings.  So I have to do

some homework to make sure that  I maintain security. 

I hope I am replying to the correct answer.  It is hard to see that.

Anyway, thanks so much for the help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The key is that the router is the one supplying a VPN, not a remote server. In the router settings there would be a choice to enable the VPN as well as a way to download and install the client software on your phone/computer.

Ahmed99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can an arlo pro 3 record to a local hard drive or do you need a subscription for that as well?

Dannybear
Master
Master
Manual recording is only available to the arlo cloud library. Yes you will need to have the camera on a subscription plan.
Franklyn3
Tutor
Tutor

Thank You.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation