Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

With this week’s introduction of the new Arlo Pro 3 2K HDR Wire-Free Cameras, we’re hosting a live chat in the Arlo Community with Louis Chen, Arlo product manager for wire-free cameras. Please join us at 11AM PT this Thursday 9/26/19 as he discusses and takes your questions about the all-new Arlo Pro 3 camera.

If you can’t make it during the scheduled live chat, we will leave this thread open until the end of the day Thursday 9/26/19 to allow you to post questions for Louis.

LouisC.png

Louis Chen is a product manager for Arlo’s wire-free cameras. In this role, he is responsible for Arlo Pro, Pro 2 and the newly announced Pro 3 cameras. Prior to Arlo, Louis worked in diverse technical fields involving satellites, cloud infrastructure and smart home products at Western Digital, G-Technology and SSL (A Maxar Company, BAE Systems). During his tenure at Western Digital, Louis launched the world’s most popular personal cloud storage device, the My Cloud Home.

Louis holds a master of business administration degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a master of science degree from Santa Clara University. He earned a dual bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering from the University of Rhode Island.

We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Thank you!

18 REPLIES 18
Ds89
Aspirant
Aspirant
When will smart alerts be back up and running again. It keeps messing up allot. I only have people selected but now I’m getting alerts for motion. I only want people and that’s why I only have that selected. It worked fine until about 10am today been working fine until your system messed up last time.
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Just like the ultra before the end of the year will we be able to access local storage on the app with the pro 3s too?
Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello everyone, I am here and happy to start answering questions

Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Cwmmmm We are continuing to work on this solution and as we get closer to release, we will provide more details.

Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

@BarnabusSpeakEZ from twitter @ArloSmartHome is this compatible with the older base station (arlo pro)

Yes. In fact, the Arlo Pro 3 camera is compatible with VMB5000, VMB4540, VMB4000, and VMB4500. Please refer to this KB article for more details. https://kb.arlo.com/000062253/Is-Arlo-Pro-3-backwards-compatible-with-my-existing-Arlo-system 

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Good tho know, thank you. My ultras work great, you guys really did good with the price of the pro 3 add on, will definitely add on pro 3 to my system.
Ds89
Aspirant
Aspirant
So the solution will only be for arlo pro 3? Not current product?
Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Ds89  could you clarify re: So the solution will only be for arlo pro 3? Not current product?

Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Ds89  ill look into the smart alert issues so we can get back to you

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

From JS on Facebook:

What is the difference between arlo pro 3 and 4k?

Ds89
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry just saw email and thought it was a reply to my question about smart alerts not working. I have people only selected now getting alerts for any motion. This keeps happening allot and seems like no solution fixes it. It fixes itself after several days.
Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

Here is a question from JS on Facebook: What is the difference between arlo pro 3 and 4k?

Arlo Pro 3 cameras feature 2K QHD with 2560x1440 resolution.  Arlo Ultra cameras have 4K resolution at 3840x2160. This means you will see more details with the Arlo Ultra. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

From JA on Facebook:

I want to add one of the Pro 3 cameras to my pro 2 system. I also would like to be able to give someone (like my kids) access to viewing the recordings but without giving them the ability to delete videos or turn off cameras (I got teenagers) that would be awesome!

ArloSarah
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do I need a subscription to save recordings on the cloud or is this free 7 days like my Pro/Pro 2 cameras?

Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

Question from JA on Facebook: "I want to add one of the Pro 3 cameras to my pro 2 system. I also would like to be able to give someone (like my kids) access to viewing the recordings but without giving them the ability to delete videos or turn off cameras (I got teenagers) that would be awesome!"

1) Yes, In fact, Arlo Pro 3 cameras are compatible with VMB5000, VMB4540, VMB4000, and VMB4500. Please refer to this KB article for more details. https://kb.arlo.com/000062253/Is-Arlo-Pro-3-backwards-compatible-with-my-existing-Arlo-system 

2) Yes, you can give access to your kids, loved ones, or friends as long as they have an account, and you add them as a friend in your Arlo account. Here are some KB articles to help with that:

Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

@ArloSarah 

The Arlo Pro 3 comes with a 3 month Arlo Smart trial that includes 2K recordings to the cloud with 30 days of history. After your trial is over, you will need to sign up for an Arlo Smart Plan to continue to record to the cloud. 

ArloSarah
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Louis_ArloPM 

So, a 3 month trial for 2K recordings. Okay, does this mean 1080p recordings are included for 7 days or do I need a subscription for all recordings regardless of resolution? How much is the subscription and what plan do I need? Sorry, jus t trying to understand if I want this over my free Arlo Pro and Pro 2 cameras.

Thanks!

Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

@ArloSarah  you will need an Arlo Smart Plan to have recordings to the cloud with the Arlo Pro 3 after your 3 month trial is over. 

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation