Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I will normally have the system Disarmed when I am home and that is most of the time.  I will only arm the system when I leave and will eventually set up GeoFencing.

I know the cameras must remain somewhat active to receive commands but am I correct in assuming that is a minimal effect on battery life and most battery power is used when motion detecting and recording. 

I am in a rural area, cameras are pointed towards the house on tree trunks because my walkways are parallel to the house so no issue with cars driving by, etc.

BTW, bought the system a while ago and for various reasons was unable to set up till now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When cameras are DISARMED, they use the absolute minimum power of all settings... basically they just ping the base now and then to make sure all is working.

Armed uses the next level of power which is still low , but Live View and Recording use the most power.

On some of my LOW use cameras, batteries can last more than 5 months if mostly in the disarmed mode...( one even went over 7 months )

Those in normal use run about almost 3 months of armed and recordings within spec ( about 5 mins max per day recording/viewing )

PS tip , I keep track of battery life by adding the date of battery install after the name

exp; Driveway Cam ( 7-10 )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When cameras are DISARMED, they use the absolute minimum power of all settings... basically they just ping the base now and then to make sure all is working.

Armed uses the next level of power which is still low , but Live View and Recording use the most power.

On some of my LOW use cameras, batteries can last more than 5 months if mostly in the disarmed mode...( one even went over 7 months )

Those in normal use run about almost 3 months of armed and recordings within spec ( about 5 mins max per day recording/viewing )

PS tip , I keep track of battery life by adding the date of battery install after the name

exp; Driveway Cam ( 7-10 )

Morse is faster than texting!
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks, pretty much what I expected it to be.  Just wanted some confirmation.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation