Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok so we have just purchased a Arlo Pro 3 with 4 cameras. The cameras are easily opened by using the push button on the bottom. We want to install the cameras outside and are looking for some sort of anti theft device for them. Any suggestions? It seems the push button release for accessing the battery makes these cameras vulnerable to theft and they are very expensive here in New Zealand. Thanks in advance for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mharps wrote:
 It seems the push button release for accessing the battery makes these cameras vulnerable to theft 

I don't see how the push button release plays into this.  That could be used to disable the camera of course, but that's a different issue.

The theft concern is really because the camera can either be pulled from the magnetic mount (or unscrewed by hand from the other mounts).  There is no Arlo accessory that solves this.  There is a third party accessory from Wasserstein that might be of use - the US amazon link is here: https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Theftproof-Security-Cover-Compatible/dp/B07TDNP2JJ Note I haven't used this myself, so this is just for information (not a recommendation).

mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The issue I have with the pushbutton release is that the camera internals are released from the outer shell when the button is pushed. This makes is extremely easy for vandals etc. to remove the camera - yes without the external housing. I realise that we cannot stop someone if they really want to damage, steal a camera or break into our home but a simple pushbutton release means the guts of the camera are easily removed and stolen.

Cheers,

Mike

C_Cad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I may be too late, but you should check out this product that is supposedly compatible with Arlo Pro 3 and Ultra

I'm considering getting it myself for the same reason (theft deterrent). Looking at the design, it actually has an additional housing that goes around the camera. A great feature is that there's a small opening on the bottom of the housing strictly for charging, but should cover the button that allows you to pop the camera housing open and access its battery. Aside from the mini roof aesthetic, everything else about this product seems to fit what you and I seem to be looking for. If you've already found a solution, please let me know what it was. I had a hell of a time finding Arlo Pro 3 compatible anti-theft solutions.

mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I managed to pick up something similar, just didn’t have the “roof” moulding.
Because I don’t have a charging cable wired to be able to connect and charge the battery without removing the battery, I need to remove the housing, pop the camera off and then charge the battery. Bit of a fiddle but it gives a minimal sense of security.
So far no one has tried to access it.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation