Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
EnDURANce
Follower
Follower

I have four Arlo Pro 3 cameras and I recently installed a 5th camera. The 5th camera gives me an indication that it detects motion but it wont record or send me notifications when someone walks by the camera. I set up the camera in my app and I have shared administrator privileges with my wife and the camera does not show up in her app. How do I fix these 2 problems. 

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

EnDURANce,

Check your modes and rules to make sure this new camera is configured correctly to record when motion is detected.

When adding new devices, you must share them like you shared the original devices. Log in to your Arlo mobile app and navigate to Settings > Grant Access and make sure the new camera is toggled for the grant access user.

JamesC

aabdelbaqi
Tutor
Tutor

I have the Arlo Pro Base station with Arlo Pro Cameras, recently bought the arlo pro 3 camera and added it to my system. However, I have the same problem, the camera is not recording and only shows that there is a motion in the room.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

aabdelbaqi,

Do you have a subscription plan for the recently added Pro 3 camera? Arlo Pro 3 requires a subscription to Arlo Smart for recordings to be saved in the library.

JamesC

aabdelbaqi
Tutor
Tutor

No I dont have a plan, and that is what I understood from support team.

This information was not shared before buying the new camera. And this is weird since the old system was working fine with no subscription. Its not a good approach to force customers to buy a subscription plan to get the essential job of a security camera.

Also, most of the reviews on Arlo's FaceBook page shows that alot of customers are complaining of the same issue.

SS12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

With my Arlo Pro and VMB4000 base I could record video locally without a subscription.  Purchased another camera to add to the collection and decided on a Pro3 camera.  Now I cannot record video locally with this camera. I have checked all the settings and the camera is set to record video when motion is detected however it simply will not record. Is there another setting I may be missing or is what you detail about requiring a subscription for cloud based recording also apply to local recording on a usb drive.  Thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SS12,

It sounds like you were viewing your Arlo Pro recordings on the cloud, not locally. Arlo Pro 3 requires a subscription to view cloud recordings. You can still view Arlo Pro 3 recordings locally if you have a storage device connected to your VMB4000 base station, but the storage device would need to be ejected and connected to a PC to view the contents.

For more information, take a look here: How do I view videos saved on a local storage USB device?

JamesC

SS12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James, 

Thanks for the details.  Just so I have this correct, for Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro2 customers are provided 7 days free cloud access to view their videos and also the ability to store the videos locally.  So if I was at the office and someone entered my property I would be notified and could view the video about 1 min later online through the Arlo app and act upon it if necessary.  I could also provide to another party via the local storage and I would know the date and time and video content.   

For Pro3 and Ultra,  Arlo doesn't provide the 7 days free cloud access, I get the notifications on the app but cannot view the video unless I have a subscription.  So if for example I have an intruder at home while in the office I wont know until I either get home and notice somethings wrong or I may never know unless I unplug my Arlo USB storage device and then plug into a PC and then view all the videos. 

My initial purchase of the Arlo products as a bundle, which were significantly more expensive than other competitors, was the ability to view the recorded video online for 7 days without the need for subscriptions or memberships and monthly charges. 

Please confirm   Thanks  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SS12,

Yes, Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras allow 7 day free cloud access for recordings. As mentioned above, Arlo Pro 3 requires a subscription for recordings to be saved to the cloud. You will still receive motion detection alerts but for recordings to be saved to the cloud, an Arlo Smart subscription is needed.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation