Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
josh149
Initiate
Initiate

Seeking response from an Arlo team member on this one as I can't find a definitive answer.

Why does the Pro 2 come with 7 days recordings but the higher end more expensive cameras do not?

I work in a retailer that sells these items and we are getting massive complaints about this. Yes you guys have turned on local storage access but it is a huge pain to set up for the average customer having to play around with router settings and port forwarding etc. 99% of customers can not do this.

Will Arlo bring 7 days free to these cameras? If so, when? And if not, why? Every one is complaining are you are losing sales.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

josh149,

Free 7 day cloud storage is not included with Arlo Pro 3/Arlo Ultra kits. Arlo Pro 3 and Arlo Ultra cameras require a subscription to Arlo Smart for recordings to be saved to the cloud. If you have a legacy Arlo camera (Arlo Wire-Free, Pro, Pro 2, Go, Q, Q Plus, or Baby), these cameras include free 7-day rolling cloud storage for up to five legacy cameras. 

For the latest information on subscription plans, take a look here: What changed in the Arlo Smart subscription plans?

JamesC

josh149
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks James,

but this does not answer my queries at all. I am 100% aware of all this. Could you please answer my actual query?

Cheers

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't speak for the marketing reasons but the cameras do require additional storage (and bandwidth) due to the 2/4k capabilities. Also, the local storage doesn't require router settings but does need them to be able to view videos remotely. It would be quite a security risk to allow local recordings without some sort of secure connection (although opening a port isn't secure).

I suspect the whole thing boils down to the need to maintain margins as well as being in a similar position as the competition (the need for a subscription).

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@josh149 wrote:

Why does the Pro 2 come with 7 days recordings but the higher end more expensive cameras do not?

This is the way the IT industry is going. Even software is moving into a "rental" model. Think Microsoft and Adobe.

Arlo has changed its strategy and is becoming a "cloud" and hardware company. Like all such businesses that do not make money from using your data, Google for example, Arlo charges for the cloud service is provides.

You will find similar tactics in other cloud operators. Acronis, for example, started business selling backup software only to migrate to charging an annual fee for software plus cloud backup.

If you don't want to pay for this service, don't buy the hardware.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@josh149 wrote:

Arlo likely won't give you an answer other than "we decided not to do that".

But if you think about it, it's pretty clear why.  Providing the storage is an ongoing expense, and the cost goes up as more and more cameras are deployed.  The cost for existing customers has to be subsidized either through subscriptions that other people have, or through new cameras that other people buy.

If the company is successful, then at some point that business model becomes unsustainable - there are simply too many people getting the free ride.  So Arlo stopped giving the free storage on the new cameras.  They did provide a free way though - which is "direct access to local storage".  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

To make an analogy - would your retail shop offer lifetime free ink to folks who purchase printers?

While new entrants into the marketplace might offer free storage, if they are successful they will eventually need to either give it up, or shift to an advertising-sponsored model.

ittroll
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm really surprised Arlo have dropped the free 7 days cloud storage on the newer models. I thought this was their USP. There are competing wireless camera systems now with the same feature set, for cheaper upfront cost and with lower monthly fees. Running with only local storage seems rather risky to me. Not to mention the horrible direct access method.

@StephenB wrote:

To make an analogy - would your retail shop offer lifetime free ink to folks who purchase printers?

Printers use the opposite model. They are sold at a massively subsidised price because they then charge high prices for the ink. Now imagine if your printer also cost twice as much in the first place.

Looks like Pro 2 is the best option if you don't want to be tied to a rolling subscription.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Arlo Pro 2 - Because free is best.
MADMIKEMIKE
Guide
Guide
They don't want to give it away free anymore. They want to charge more. Instead of making their products work well and letting people spread the word they are increasing profits in other ways.
mlbfish6224
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a pro, 2 pro 2's and a pro 3. The Pro 3 is useless with out paying to store videos. It never said that anywhere on the package when I bought it. I'm switching to wyze cameras.  I also have 3 of them with no issues. They now have outdoor cameras as well. Arlo is not worth it any more.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@mlbfish6224 wrote:

It never said that anywhere on the package when I bought it.

It is there in teeny weeny print.

ArloPro3CloudArloPro3Cloud

Arlo Pro 3  BoxArlo Pro 3 Box

Well hidden, I admit, but there.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
mlbfish6224
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK I guess it was there. I no longer have my box. But why try to deceive a customer with fine print? I guess Arlo can't be trusted if they try to hide important information with fine print. I really like my other Arlo cameras.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@mlbfish6224 wrote:

But why try to deceive a customer with fine print?

Your guess is as good as mine.

The Amazon listings aren't much better.

Just another user
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation