Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

3 months free Smart Plan

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Whiskers
Star
Star
Anyone know if the 3 months free gets tagged onto the end of a 1 month trial?

I'm considering signing up for a 1 month Smart trial ahead of pre-ordering a Pro3 kit that isn't available in the UK until the end of Oct. Anyone know how having an active 1 month trial at time of linking a Pro3 system to the account affects the 3 months free promotion?

Am I potentially asking for trouble?

I wouldn't want to lose the 3 months free just because I'm impatient to have a look at the Smart plan services.

Also is the 3 months free a per camera subscription dependent on the number of cameras in the Pro 3 kit or is it a Smart Premium subscription that will also cover any existing cameras up to 10 cameras?

If it's a premiums 3 month trial... after the free 3 month period is over will any current Pro 2's revert back to the free 7 days basic plan?

Also what happens if you buy multiple kits? Can you stack the free 3 months and get 6 months free by purchasing 2 Pro 3 kits? Or 15 months free if the 2nd kit was an Ultra kit.

I'm thinking I could end up needing 2 bases to ensure range (one located to front of house other at back) so wondering if I would be offered a 2nd 3 months (Pro3 kit) or 12months (Ultra kit) free plan when the 2nd hub was added in.

Looking at the Ultra conversations... it looks like some had issues getting the free year Smart Plan to activate so trying to avoid similar issues with the 3 months free. 😉

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Whiskers,

The 3 month free subscription that comes with Pro 3 is a per camera plan. This plan doesn't interact with any other account level plans (like the 1 month free trial for a new account) and is applied automatically when you add the camera.

Each Pro 3 you add to your account will apply it's own 3 month free trial that is associated only with that camera, this won't impact your existing Pro 2 cameras.

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

JamesC wrote:

Each Pro 3 you add to your account will apply it's own 3 month free trial that is associated only with that camera, this won't impact your existing Pro 2 cameras.

A question about this earlier as well, “adding AP3 as a 6th. camera” was asked. Well it looks like it does affect existing Pro and Pro2 with five cameras in one account. Since AP3 has its own subscription plan (whether free or paid for) it should not count as a sixth camera, but it does. One needs to remove one of the existing cameras in order to allow the AP3 to be added to the account.

It doesn’t seem right but that’s how Arlo handles it. So for every AP3 (with their own individual subscription plan) added to an existing free plan with five Pro or Pro2, the free number is reduced by one.

Whiskers
Star
Star
Thanks for the replies.

Paul_FCCL... thanks for jumping in with the extra info. It's very good to know an AP3 is counted as one of 5 devices for the basic plan even though it has it's own camera specific subscription.

Arlo... That's a bit naughty as the AP3 cant make use of 7 day free recordings so it shouldn't be counted.

That is going to catch existing users out... expect a number of support tickets coming your way from disgruntled account holders.

I'm glad I asked about subscriptions. I now know to setup a separate account for my future Pro3's so there is no impact to the current Pro2 setup.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Whiskers:

It seems to be a well thought out plan by Arlo towards an eventual phasing out of existing free seven-day cloud storage available to current Arlo, Arlo Pro and Pro 2 owners. Arlo Smart subscriptions are “what ultimately counts” for guaranteed long term revenue strategy.

New products make a good bait, upgrading to a newer model will cost the free plan. Replace five older cams with 5 new Ultra/Pro3 and there goes a current free plan.

Arlo must be extremely confident about this, I doubt they even consider or worry  about lost sales. Many Arlo users bought their cams in the past with much consideration given to the free cloud service. Only time will tell.....

Whiskers
Star
Star
Hmmm

In my experience consumers aren't that stupid.

In time Arlo Pro2's and older models will be phased out but until that day comes Arlo should be honouring their 5 camera free plan. Knocking a free entitled camera out the device count when adding an extra new model camera that is not entitled to the free service is underhanded. Coding wise it's not difficult to exclude any newer model cameras from the free device count. We already know they can & do differentiate services based on the camera model linked to an account as the Pro3/Ultra are excluded from 7 days free cloud services. Use that same logic to exclude these models from the free plan device count... simple.

They may be confident that subscription is the way to go but as more of these types of security cameras enter the market they need to be careful... Eufy for example is snapping at their heels offering subscription free home wireless security.

Consumers today in the tech market are no longer brand loyal... its a big mistake to forget what type of consumer made up your target market as they are the current consumer base. By all means change business model & start targeting and trying to grow a different market hoping for a slice of the Nest consumers who are willing to pay hefty monthly subscriptions but dont forget about your existing users... they are the people who believed / invested in Arlo and got the brand where it is today.

Anyone remember Nokia phones... they too were once a market leader until they forgot what made the brand and they tanked 😉
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation