• 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
knight1fox3
Guide
Guide

Hardware: FB1001AerH4

Firmware: 1.080.26.3_37_a1b5020

Hello. As the title suggests, the past 24-48 hours my FB1001 has been reporting from the Android app, "Your Arlo device appears offline". The unit has been in operation for almost a year with no connectivity issues of this nature. Occasionally, it will show offline but the few select times it has done that, a firmware update was present when it reconnected, so I assumed that to be the reason for it. I have my FB1001 hard-wired to a known working, permanent power source (120VAC/60Hz) and also have an assortment of Nest cameras which have not reported any issues with Internet Wi-Fi connectivity. Before dismounting the camera for further inspection, I noticed it had a solid blue LED present. Which I don't typically recall seeing and I believe indicates that (ironically) it is connected to a network. I've been reading up on these forums and have seen various suggested fixes. Though I'm reluctant to remove/re-add the device completely as I'd prefer not to lose all the current system configuration settings. When I try reconnecting to my network (using the QR code scanner), the FB1001 does produce the confirmation chime but then progressing to the next step, the app scanning for the camera never seems to "find" it successfully. Any insights, suggestions, and/or other troubleshooting measures on how to correct the issue would be greatly appreciated. I wish the system had some form of diagnostics (i.e. error code) available to aid in troubleshooting. Difficult to understand what might be the issue when up until the past day or so the system has been working correctly. Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@knight1fox3 wrote:

I noticed it had a solid blue LED present. Which I don't typically recall seeing and I believe indicates that (ironically) it is connected to a network. 

No, it means the battery in the camera is fully charged (which makes sense, since it is AC powered).  There is a camera setting that turns that LED off, but it is possible that the off-line status is preventing that from kicking in.

I think you will need to do a full reset.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@knight1fox3 wrote:

I noticed it had a solid blue LED present. Which I don't typically recall seeing and I believe indicates that (ironically) it is connected to a network. 

No, it means the battery in the camera is fully charged (which makes sense, since it is AC powered).  There is a camera setting that turns that LED off, but it is possible that the off-line status is preventing that from kicking in.

knight1fox3
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the response @StephenB , much appreciated. Though I'd prefer not to perform a factory reset, I tend to agree with your suggestion. My next question is obviously a loaded one, but if this is going to be something which happens periodically, each time will it require performing a factory reset?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@knight1fox3 wrote:

My next question is obviously a loaded one, but if this is going to be something which happens periodically, each time will it require performing a factory reset?

Honestly I don't know if it will recur.  FWIW, I haven't seen this with my own floodlight.

knight1fox3
Guide
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@knight1fox3 wrote:

My next question is obviously a loaded one, but if this is going to be something which happens periodically, each time will it require performing a factory reset?

Honestly I don't know if it will recur.  FWIW, I haven't seen this with my own floodlight.

Indeed, nor would I expect anyone (except of course Arlo engineering) to be able to realistically address that particular concern. But it does help some to know that it isn't (yet) a common issue across the floodlight product line. What's still strange as the floodlight has been working reliable for almost an entire year without experiencing this type of issue. 

Side question, does your floodlight periodically show "offline" for a short duration then restore itself shortly thereafter? As I noted above, there have only been a few select times this has happened but usually afterwards there's a firmware update available for the floodlight. Thanks again for your feedback.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@knight1fox3 wrote:

Side question, does your floodlight periodically show "offline" for a short duration then restore itself shortly thereafter?

I haven't seen this with my floodlight, but I have seen this with my AVD1001 doorbell.  It shows up briefly off-line in the app.  In the browser, it just comes up off-line and stays that way.

knight1fox3
Guide
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

Just a quick update on this that performing the factory reset procedure was successful in restoring normal access to my Floodlight Camera. I just really hope that it isn't something I'll have to repeat if the camera becomes unresponsive and shows offline again. The difficult part is gaining access to the camera using a ladder, dismounting, then bringing inside to work on it. Let's hope the camera continues to function normally though! 👍😊

knight1fox3
Guide
Guide

@knight1fox3 wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Just a quick update on this that performing the factory reset procedure was successful in restoring normal access to my Floodlight Camera. I just really hope that it isn't something I'll have to repeat if the camera becomes unresponsive and shows offline again. The difficult part is gaining access to the camera using a ladder, dismounting, then bringing inside to work on it. Let's hope the camera continues to function normally though! 👍😊

And another update. Since my last post on this topic, the Floodlight Camera has been working fine up until this morning (see attached image/message). No changes to anything including my Wi-Fi network which continues to function normally with my other Nest Cameras. Is it safe to assume the Arlo Camera has some sort of malfunction and requires warranty repair/replacement? Again as I noted above, it's rather difficult to troubleshoot with no sort of diagnostic error code to indicate what might be the issue. I was fine with removing/factory resetting the device previously, but I'm not about to make this a regular routine every two weeks or so. Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated. Also, any guidance on engaging Arlo support on this matter would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20221027-073954.png

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation