Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

This doesn't seem to be associated to any particular model.

The cameras around the property correctly save captured videos to local storage but fail to upload same to cloud.

A recent break-in was fully captured and saved locally. Initially, I was guiding myself by recordings that had been successfully uploaded to the cloud, but were vastly misleading as they were showing partially what had happened.

What device is running out of bandwidth? The Hub?

I have a1G up/down internet connection. It couldn't be the network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good to know. It wasn’t clear from the specs published.
I’m still not clear how that would explain the correct detection one way and failure to detect on the way out.
I’ll disable and test. Just not convinced the zone will make much difference.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This sounds like 2 different issues. Having local recordings but not cloud ones implies you don't have a subscription. Any camera newer than the Pro 2 requires a subscription for cloud recordings after the trial period runs out.

As for local vs cloud recordings, they're the same. However, cloud recordings are post-processed by Smart and recordings that are deemed to not fit with your settings in Smart Notifications for each camera will be discarded. Local recordings aren't processed so you get them all. Changing settings in Smart or deactivating cameras in Smart would get you all videos in the cloud library.

ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the pointers.

All cameras are under paid subscription.

The events not recorded or ‘accepted’ post-processing are identical to the ones actually recorded just seconds prior: person detected. 

It’s not that it fails every time. In this particular instance, it detected and recorded the person walking in. I failed to record the person walking out. In both cases, it is a ‘person detection, or any movement’ that should be triggering the recording and post-processing filter.

The inconsistency is what alarms me as, initially, I thought the person walking in had jumped over the fence. When reviewing the movie in local storage I see him walking out perfectly clear.

I’ll be happy to discuss this off-line if you’d like more data if this would help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ogxm,

Are you using activity zones? If so, you  may try removing them to see if that changes this behavior.

JamesC

ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have them defined but are not active (yet) as the cameras are on solar panels. They only activate when AC powered.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

They are also active on battery power if you have a Smart sub. Since you have a sub they are currently active.

ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good to know. It wasn’t clear from the specs published.
I’m still not clear how that would explain the correct detection one way and failure to detect on the way out.
I’ll disable and test. Just not convinced the zone will make much difference.
ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

following up (after holidays and such), I did disable zones on the one camera that had previously upload videos to the cloud.

I just did a comparison and it did miss an upload. I have one more video in local storage for the entire day yesterday.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and wanting to offer ideas and suggestions.

For the Arlo technical team, contact me should you be interested pursuing this further.

Since the whole break-in event, I have now connected all cameras to AC. Obviously, there's a major improvement in networking performance and overall access, besides the fact that all features can be optimized for performance and quality.

I have also fixed the broken lock that let that undesirable in.

Being aware of this possible upload divergence I'm reviewing both often, especially during times that call for some attention.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation