Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Setup design for house cameras and remote floodlight

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
peapin_tom
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I'm looking to spec a security system and looking hard at the Arlo hardware. My special case is that I'm looking to use the floodlight on a remote shed on my property (200m line of sight) with no internet currently. Ideally I'd like to setup a whole new integrated system that includes the house so idea is to install a point to point wireless bridge and have the pro 3 floodlight plugged directly into that, so sitting on the same network as a pro 2 setup (4 camera probably) I'll install at the house. So question to those in the know, does the Arlo hardware mix and match like that and would direct connection to the network via the point to point bridge get the floodlight on the pro 2 base station (assuming that's required)? Any other problems to overcome?

Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@peapin_tom wrote:
install a point to point wireless bridge and have the pro 3 floodlight plugged directly into that,

That should work, as long as the floodlight is set up to connect to bridge's client-facing wifi, instead of connecting it to a base.  In that mode, you will need a subscription to get cloud recordings.

If you want to connect it to a base, you'll need to put a smarthub within range of the floodlight (e.g., co-located).  That would give you the possibility of local storage for the videos, though it would of course require more equipment.  The smarthubs are built for indoor use, so it might misbehave at temperature extremes.  If you go this route, you'll need a wifi bridge that has ethernet-out, and connect the ethernet to the base.  The camera would connect to the base wifi.

Sdax28
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ideally it should work, but in my experience the floodlights battery life is comical. Even more so if the light ever comes on, no matter how low it's turned down expect biweekly if not weekly charging. So plan on hardwiring with magnetic power cord arlo offers (+$$$$) if you want to set it and hopefully forget it. Good luck.
peapin_tom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks all. In the end I gave up on the idea of Arlo gear, given in the other forum there was reports of Arlo throttling back the bitrate/quality of the no subscription cameras which have to say turns me completely off the company. In the end I went for wired 4K IP cameras on a wireless bridge and this worked perfectly (and no subscription). Thanks for your advice though, cheers

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation