Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ftjohnson
Follower
Follower

I would like to record and save video from my Pro3 Floodlight and my Arlo Q cameras without subscribing to a plan. I understand if I connect to a base station this could be achieved. Which unit would be better for this function, the VMB 5000, 4540 smart hubs or the VMB 4500, 4000 base station? I know the VMB 5000 uses the micro SD card while the others are a USB port, but will they all work with both types of cameras? Is the SD card included with the VMB 5000 and what is its capacity? Can I access recordings remotely from any of these units?

2 REPLIES 2
dcfox1
Master
Master

I have the VMB4540 and is a good option and uses a USB. I don't believe the Q can connect to a Hub but someone correct me if I'm wrong. The 4540 and 5000 can view local storage in the app but is not as Ideal the Cloud. The 4540 needs a 16GB or greater USB storage. Not sure if the 5000 SD has the same requirement or if it comes with an SD card. 

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it? (arlo.com)

What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q comes with the free 7 day plan which you'll have to use since it's not connected to a base and therefore can't be recorded locally. The Q+ can use a microSD card, IIRC, for local storage. For the any camera newer than the Pro 2 a subscription is needed for cloud recordings but use of the 4540 or 5000 allows local recordings with viewing directly from the app. The 4540 uses a USB drive (a 32-64GB thumb drive is recommended) while the 5000 uses a microSD card.  Both must be at least 16GB to work.

Local recordings must have port forwarding or a VPN set up if you need to view the recordings while away from your home network.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation