Pro 3 Floodlight discovery fails

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AnotherHal
Aspirant
Aspirant

A floodlight 3 was always saying it was offline.  

I recharged it to full- and made sure all seemed ok- and still, no connection

I decided to reset it, following the instructions I deleted the device from the app.  Went through the cycle of trying to re-register it. I've now tried this dozens of times- and it refuses to work!

I can see the device has successfully gotten an IP address AND see activity on the address... so it's communicating with something and it's got the right network and password... But the probe at the end of the setup process never finds the camera and it just tells me to try again, which as I have mentioned I have done time and time again.

I've tried with an Apple and Android

2.5ghz is the only network on- I disabled the 5g completely

They are on the same wifi network

It's fully chaged

It's near the router.

Behavior when registering:

do the reset procedure, get the blinking orange and then blue lights.

Camera makes the tone after seeing the QR code

Blue Light continues to blink for a while during procedure and before long turns off.

The phone continues to look for a while after that, without finding the camera, and eventually tells me to try again.

I've tried plugged in to the charger with a battery in, without a battery in and with only the battery.   Attempts made without a battery, or the charger plugged in didn't do anything (yes, this is a joke and also true.)

Any further suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AnotherHal wrote:

I've tried with an Apple and Android

Did you also try on a PC (my.arlo.com)?

AnotherHal
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have also tried on the website/PC and had the identical result. 

I get the light blinking amber

I release the button.

It starts blinking blue.

I hear the tone

The blinking on the camera stops.

The camera can not be detected.

Checking my router- the camera has connected and is transmitting/receiving data.

chrome_2024-06-10_14-26-56.png

I should add- The internet connection here is, strange...

The provider is assigning us all internal ips 192.168.9.x on our WAN and then internally we are on 192.168.1.x - So this is, at minimum, a double NAT situation.  - Not sure if that could be a contributing factor, but seems it might be.

AnotherHal
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also want to add: This is no different than the initial install, which DID work... for a while...  It's been down for a while also, and finally out in the location the camera is in to try and fix it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AnotherHal wrote:

The provider is assigning us all internal ips 192.168.9.x on our WAN and then internally we are on 192.168.1.x - So this is, at minimum, a double NAT situation.  - Not sure if that could be a contributing factor, but seems it might be.

That shouldn't matter for this.  Personally I use back-to-back routers on my home network, which also results in double-NAT.  And I haven't run into your issue.  (FWIW, I need to use my ISP router to get some TV services, but that router doesn't have all the features I need).

Do you have a VPN installed?  If so, try turning it off on the phone and PC before installing.  If your router lets you disable 5 ghz wifi, then also do that temporarily.

rottielover
Tutor
Tutor

Did you ever find a fix for this?   I have had one of these camera's since just about exactly 1 year ago.  Last week the flood cam went offline at about 20% battery.  I could not get it back even after charging it overnight.

So I did the same as you, went to the troubleshooting and removed it from my devices etc.   NOTHING has worked.  This thing just blinks at me and will never connect.

AnotherHal
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB 

So I have yet to figure out how to do a quoted reply....

You Asked:

Do you have a VPN installed?  If so, try turning it off on the phone and PC before installing.  If your router lets you disable 5 ghz wifi, then also do that temporarily

I do not have a VPN installed. I both tried with 5GHz off and with a different SSID.   

and I know it's connecting to the WiFi- I can see the assigned IP to its matching Serial Number (which is in the name of the device)... so, it's not a problem of the camera reaching WiFi- It's more likely the Camera not being able to reach the arlo server to register and associate with my account- at least that's my guess.

AnotherHal
Aspirant
Aspirant

@rottielover  I do not yet have a solution to this.   My camera does stop blinking, and I do see it on the network. The app/Website just never registers the device to my account.  It's so incredibly frustrating and I suspect it's related to connectivity/routing of the camera... I am probably going to try over a hotspot, just to see if it works on a more open network.

rottielover
Tutor
Tutor

@AnotherHal   I just wasted a couple of hours on chat support, only to be told my camera was, in-fact, defective.   It's exactly 10 days over the 1 year warranty so they could give me a coupon to the webstore.

I asked for escalation since I've been an Arlo/Netgear customer since about 2014/6 ish when I got my original system to replace my old Logitech Alert cameras (yea I'm old).   Last year I bought all-new equipment (doorbell cam, multi cam system, new base, the floodlight, chime, etc) to replace all my hardware that's going/gone end of life.

I'm supposed to hear back in 24-48 hours on a decision about replacing it vs giving me a coupon for the store.

Guess I'll either be an Arlo customer for a while longer, or I'll be looking for a new system in the next 24-48 hours.

AnotherHal
Aspirant
Aspirant

@rottielover This camera is definitely out of warranty - so nothing there, no use wasting the time.  Personally I don't use Arlo (though I use quite a bit of TP-link branded items). I find myself getting frustrated with them brand-wide.  Definitely time to try out new companies.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AnotherHal wrote:

So I have yet to figure out how to do a quoted reply....

There is a " control in the toolbar over the textbox.  If you are careful, you can edit out parts of the quote (but sometimes need to use the html control to fix issues in the markup language).

@AnotherHal wrote:

I do not have a VPN installed. I both tried with 5GHz off and with a different SSID.   

and I know it's connecting to the WiFi- I can see the assigned IP to its matching Serial Number (which is in the name of the device)... so, it's not a problem of the camera reaching WiFi- It's more likely the Camera not being able to reach the arlo server to register and associate with my account- at least that's my guess.

Usually the issue is that the app is unable to find the camera.  Arlo hasn't documented how the app does that, but my guess is that they are using a broadcast discovery method, and that some routers are not forwarding the packets.

Have you tried using a PC (either Mac or Windows)?  That sometimes works when the app fails.  Connect the PC to the router with ethernet if you can.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation