Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

How to set up two external cameras to Standby mode during the day when in Home mode.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jhex
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using the new upgraded software ( which I hate by the way) and close to throwing away all 9 Arlo cameras, as I understand it in "Arm Home" mode external cameras ( I have 3 floodlight) are set to "on" by default  and internal cameras to off. My question is how do I set ( step by step instructions ) these external cameras to standby mode or set them to off position from sunrise to sunset as I only want them activating during the night. Any help out there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jhex
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have resolved another way. Not camera specific but  because their default operation on Arm Home is to arm ext  cameras and not internal and the default for Standby is all cameras are off. I have set up an automation so that the standby mode changes at selected time PM to Home which means the ext cameras are then all on and then at another time in the morning the mode changes back to Standby. All off. Because I want all ext cameras to be on at night it works for me. But not sure if you wanted some ext on and some off if that is possible as system does not seem to be camera specific ! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jhex wrote:

Using the new upgraded software ( which I hate by the way) and close to throwing away all 9 Arlo cameras, as I understand it in "Arm Home" mode external cameras ( I have 3 floodlight) are set to "on" by default  and internal cameras to off. 

Not sure what the default actually is.  But many folks use outdoor camera models indoors, and Arlo has no idea whether the cameras are actually outdoors or not.

All three of the modes (Arm Away, Arm Home, and Standby) can be changed.

@Jhex wrote:

My question is how do I set ( step by step instructions ) these external cameras to standby mode or set them to off position from sunrise to sunset as I only want them activating during the night. Any help out there?

Can you give more details on what you need?

In particular:

1. Do you have indoor cameras?  If so, when do you want them armed?
  2. When you say "these external cameras", do you mean all the external cameras, or just the floodlights?  If you mean just the floodlights, what is the behavior you want for the other external cameras?

Infortunately, the lack of custom modes does limit the combinations you can arm/disarm.  But you still might be able to get everything running the way you want it to.

Jhex
Aspirant
Aspirant
The Arlo documentation in the Ap does say that the default operation in Arm Home is for internal cameras to be off and external cameras ( certain models) which includes the floodlights to be on . 
I have set the system to arm home and it works as they say. I only have 3 ext and they are  all floodlight. And all slarm in that mode all the time. 
My wish is to change the default set up so that the 3 ext cameras are off from sunrise to sunset and on from sunset to sunrise. Or to change mode to “stay “on those cameras for those times if that is possible as stay mode means they are off. 
No way i can see any example or guide how to achieve that. 

Jhex
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have resolved another way. Not camera specific but  because their default operation on Arm Home is to arm ext  cameras and not internal and the default for Standby is all cameras are off. I have set up an automation so that the standby mode changes at selected time PM to Home which means the ext cameras are then all on and then at another time in the morning the mode changes back to Standby. All off. Because I want all ext cameras to be on at night it works for me. But not sure if you wanted some ext on and some off if that is possible as system does not seem to be camera specific ! 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jhex wrote:

My wish is to change the default set up so that the 3 ext cameras are off from sunrise to sunset and on from sunset to sunrise. Or to change mode to “stay “on those cameras for those times if that is possible as stay mode means they are off. 
No way i can see any example or guide how to achieve that. 

You found the path.  The default behavior can be changed. You can modify the rules in all three built-in modes, and then schedule those mode changes.  That includes modifying standby to always arm specific cameras.

But unfortunately you are limited to three combinations.  So if you wanted a different schedules for

• front yard cameras
  • back yard cameras
  • indoor cameras

you'd be stuck.

Arlo is very aware of the limitations (getting lots of complaints), so I think they will be providing more flexible controls.  That might take a while, as they need to rethink the basic approach they took to camera control, scheduling, and geofencing.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation