Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
HRadcliffe
Follower
Follower
Floodlight and cam don’t work when magnet cord attached bat is at 100 percent I unplugged cord works but light not as bright While in app I can not share my device When I speak through device volume way to low outside and volume in app all the way up
6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

HRadcliffe,

When you say it doesn't work with the charging cable attached, what exactly are you experiencing? Do you see any error messages in the mobile app?

JamesC

AllynWA
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC...

I thought I would jump onto this thread instead of starting another thread on the same or similar topic.

I'm moving over from another camera provider, and I have purchased 8 Arlo Pro 3 cameras and another 3 floodlights. In all cases, I have the cameras and floodlights powered 100% of the time because there is leftover 3A USB power where the previous cameras were located.

The AP3 cameras work fine when the power is applied, however the AP3 floodlights are useless until the power is removed. What I'm led to understand is that I either need to purchase a $50 "outdoor" plug/cable assembly, or move the floodlights over to a solar panel charging situation.

Why is that?

What is the difference between the "outdoor" charging cable and the standard magnetic USB charging cable?

In reading the documentation, it seems that there's a 9V supply versus the 5V USB, but the solar panels are 6.5V - 7.5V so that doesn't make sense.

Is there different wiring, or are you guys just trying to get another $50 out of me?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AllynWA,

The Solar Panel and outdoor charging cable are designed for outdoor use, the standard magnetic charging cable and usb adapter are not. For more information on charging your Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight, take a look here: How do I charge my Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Camera?

JamesC

AllynWA
Aspirant
Aspirant

One-star answer so far, James...but a chance to redeem yourself:

The "standard" magnetic charging cable has EXACTLY the same form-factor as the solar panel charging cable - same three pins, same rare-earth magnet, just a little thinner insulation (as one would expect) than the "outdoor" version.

I have all of my camera power cables in conduit anyway, so that doesn't matter much to me.

My point is, the Arlo Pro 3 camera DOESN'T WORK when it's plugged into power the way all of the other Arlo Pro 3 OUTDOOR CAMERAS work, so this behavior isn't an outdoor thing, it's an electrical thing. I'm trying to understand why, in order to get my OUTDOOR FLOODLIGHT to work, with the same power connector that I have for all of my other cameras, I need to pay an additional $50.00 on top of the premium price I paid for the camera/floodlight itself?

Arlo MUST understand, that floodlights by their nature are more often than not placed in locations not easily reached to facilitate swapping batteries. Arlo must also understand that they have a camera power infrastructure they ship with all of their cameras, so the fact that one infrastructure is not compatible with the other is troublesome for the consumer.

Now, can I get a better answer, or shall I escalate this question through other mediums?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@AllynWA wrote:

In all cases, I have the cameras and floodlights powered 100% of the time because there is leftover 3A USB power where the previous cameras were located.

3A for each camera or somehow shared?

What is the difference between the "outdoor" charging cable and the standard magnetic USB charging cable?

In reading the documentation, it seems that there's a 9V supply versus the 5V USB, but the solar panels are 6.5V - 7.5V so that doesn't make sense.

The 9v outdoor cable is due to the voltage drop over the thin wires and length of the cable as well as the current draw of the camera. The solar panels are only a trickle charger so much less current being supplied, not to mention the shorter wires.

As for why it won't work, exactly what are you using? The indoor cable and supply? Have you lengthened the cable in any way (extension cables, etc.)? Exactly what do you mean by "it won't work" - no charging or the camera is inop? If you bring the camera indoors and plug it in, does that work? There's a lot of details needed.

AllynWA
Aspirant
Aspirant
You guys are missing the point: an Arlo camera will still function when plugged into the magnetic charger, whereas an Arlo floodlight will not. You say the difference is a 9v charger vs. a normal 5v USB, and you argue that the 5v charger "trickle charges" the floodlight. My point is fine, let the floodlight operate normally under the trickle charge scenario, don't disable it's operation the way that occurs simply because you want to charge me an exhorbitant fee for a 9v wall wart, especially when you can't explain why it's necessary.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation