Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Hoodleehoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I recently switched to Arlo (mainly for the Pro 3 Floodlight option). I also switched to the Essential Wireless Doorbell. I’m happy the quality, battery, and other aesthetics of the cameras. And the floodlight is a nice combo of 2 essential features I was looking for.

So, my problem (as I have found many others have experienced) is the Live Stream connection time. With 2 Floodlights and the doorbell, I consistently have a 10+ second lag before it connects. The apps show 3 full WiFi bars on all devices, and they are all approx 20ft from my router/access point. The devices are connected directly to my WiFi and I have 300Mbps+ service. I thought my PiHole might be to blame, but putting them in their own group to bypass still does not fix the issue. I have other cams (Wyze) which connect nearly instantaneously, as did my Gen 1 Ring doorbell. Lastly, I get the same 10+ second connection time whether I am on my local network or remote. I do get notifications within 2-3 seconds, so that communication seems fine.

Are there any other options to try? I was curious if having an Arlo base station or smart hub for a dedicated connection would help? Is there a setting (maybe video quality) that would improve things?

I really want to love these cameras, but this lag is ridiculously inept. Is the only answer to go with another system?

4 REPLIES 4
Ortiz695
Aspirant
Aspirant
  1. Turn things off and on again.
  2. Move your router to a better location.
  3. Adjust your router's antennas.
  4. Make sure you're on the right frequency band.
  5. Prune unnecessary connections.
  6. Change your Wi-Fi frequency channel.
  7. Update your router's firmware.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What is the house construction? Certain methods block the signal with stucco being among the worst (stone and brick can also be an issue). 

Hoodleehoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for tips. I have already tested my local network and there are no issues with local connectivity/bandwidth. All my other systems/cams are working optimally. Only the Arlo cams are experiencing the issue. Just to be sure, I did analyze my Wifi channels and updated them, however, no improvement in the connection speed. 

Hoodleehoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for responding. The house is older (1966) and has a lot of brick. I thought that might be an issue, however, all my other cameras/previous video doorbell (Ring) worked well with no connectivity  lags. I have a mesh network, with a dedicated 2.4 network for my IoT devices. I've had Wyze cams for years and they worked well, but was moving to Arlo for more features/video quality. So, while the home is older and mostly brick, all my other devices are working fine, so I am positive that is not the issue. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation