Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CThomestead
Aspirant
Aspirant

See the blizzard-like reflection from the camera, cool/crisp/clear night in CT.  It is unusable:

https://my.arlo.com/#/viewShared/EE02DB4E59EB287A_202010

Firmware: 1.070.19.2_20_d19c2ceb

Hardware: FB1001AerH4

Is this solvable, should I return, or is this expectation of the current state of tech?

Thanks,

Michael

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The shared link has timed out at 24 hours so no longer visible. However, remember that the IR LEDs will light up moisture in the air as well as clouds of bugs, making it look like a blizzard. It's similar to using high beams on your car during snowstorms - the light is to close to the axis of vision. Nobody can fix that. We had fog here in Rochester, NY the other night and I  got videos that sound similar to yours. A workaround is to have external lighting so the night vision LEDs aren't the source of illumination.

CThomestead
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not talking about a foggy night-- I would expect this behavior on foggy nights and it makes perfect sense given how IR works/reflects off water vapor.  I found it perplexing that even on a clear night, with what I perceive to be little moisture when compared to a foggy night, the reflection is still this bad.  I'm an engineer by trade/nature and now I'm intrigued enough to tinker.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation