Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Annoying “#alert” Arlo secure notification

Discussion stats
motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice
Both My flood light started triggering arlo secure push notifications worded as “#alert detected on *camera* at *time*”. It does it every time the light turns on and once again when it turns off. It also does it when I manually trigger the light.
It’s starting to get very annoying, is anyone else getting this?
My vehicle Motion notifications are turned off but because of this random notification I get double push notifications for every vehicle…

Currently running most up to date app on IOS.
Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently investigation reports of this issue. As soon as I have more information, I will provide an update.

JamesC

94 REPLIES 94
PacificBluey
Initiate
Initiate

I’m getting the #alert notifications too - started 2 days ago. Very annoying. Hoping it will be fixed soon. Nothing more frustrating when everything has worked well for a year for it to suddenly not work properly due to software updates.

fre310
Guide
Guide

As said, pretty sure it has not to do with software updates as software was not updated when it started for me. So server issue at Arlo? Wrong mapping of light on/of?

I’ve removed floodlights from hub and added them directly to wifi and problem does NOT occur anymore. Want to switch back to adding them to hub to allow local storage, but in meantime at least get sleep while security active. Shame to arlo for inappropriate follow-up with paying customers.

SufyaanKazi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed my 3rd Arlo Pro Floodlight and am now having this issue. I don't get it on my two black (not that the colour should matter) Pro 3 Floodlights, but my white one I just installed today is doing and it's so annoying.

I'm in the UK

I've disabled the floodlight which is irritating ... Really looking forward to an update.

p.s. Even though the other cameras don't have this issue - they do a have a related issue. If I manually turn their light on/off using the app , I get the alert. However atleast the alert doesn't happen when there is motion.

Arrgggh!! 

Acilluma
Tutor
Tutor

I thought mine was resolved as well. However, that is not the case. Now when I have the “armed” mode activated (using the iOS app) it will automatically default it to “disabled.” Therefore, my camera is useless and doesn’t work. Not to mention, none of the videos are being saved to my library. So there’s recording happening intermittently but I am not able to view any of it. This is terrible and very unfortunate for Arlo as they were a good company for a few years but I guess all good things come to an end. The worst part about it is  I have lost all trust and faith in the customer service. At this point I’m not even going to bother to call anyone to try and resolve this issue because I know nothing will be done. The only thing I can do now is return all this hardware to Costco and get something else. Best of luck! 

arlo-there
Tutor
Tutor

I am getting this too, convinced it's a result of the firmware update.

What's worse - my floodlight is now no longer charging, I am getting a "use a compatible Arlo charger" - I am using an Arlo outdoor magnetic cable. No issue until this firmware update hit, floodlight has been a mess since.

I have opened a case. No resolution as yet.

arlo-there
Tutor
Tutor

I reported it today too (that and my floodlight is no longer charging post firmware update). I received the following:

"Please note that there have been no reports of firmware causing an error for the camera, upon checking"

posp
Tutor
Tutor

I was having same issue with floodlight connected to hub. As suggested, I removed from Hub and added directly to WiFi, it worked for few days, but now getting "#alert" again. Incredibly annoying, its impossible to use the floodlight in "light only" mode due to constant false alerts.

AB23
Star
Star

Exact same issue for me. About a month ago, I started getting the #alert whenever the floodlight turned on, when it was connected to the hub. I disconnected from the hub and connected straight to wifi, which resolved the problem until several days ago with the latest update.

Unfortunately, the update has made the problem worse. The #alert now occurs for all motion-triggered light activations, including when triggered by other cameras via the mode feature. This occurs when connected to both the hub and wifi. 

The floodlights are now virtually useless. This has been going on for over a month. We all understand that sometimes things go wrong, but this is a big issue and it can't go on for much longer. 

Dbrzezinska
Tutor
Tutor

This is also happening to me. I am also getting a “#alert” notification rather than the appropriate smart notifications so I get notifications for ANY MOTION OR AUDIO the ENTIRE NIGHT. Absolutely infuriating. I purposely have no notifications for vehicles as they come by all day and night. 

This is only happening on my two Arlo pro 3 floodlights, my other cameras are just fine. It is only happening when it’s dark and the light turns on. It also happens when I manually turn the light on. 

I have done it all. Power cycling, removing and reinserting battery, removing and reinstalling the camera, removing and reinstalling the app, removing and re-adding the cameras from my subscription, turning off smart notifications and turning them back on. Triple checked their firmware is updated. My iOS is updated. 

This is clearly an issue on Arlo’s end where the sensor that tells the camera to turn on the light is also alerting our phones.

CAN WE PLEASE KEEP BUMPING THIS POST because Arlo is clearly not taking this seriously as a system wide issue. 

sia_later
Star
Star

While we're at it, a little transparency would go a long way when it comes to firmware releases.

"Bug fixes" and "Stability improvements" is about as vague as it gets.

misaacka
Initiate
Initiate

I have two Pro Floodlights with cameras that are both set to send motion alerts, and they seem to do this pretty well.  The alerts are specific to people, vehicles, animals, or motion and link to a recording.  All good, as far as that goes.  

The problem is that I’m also receiving text notifications from Arlo Secure that simply say “#alert” with a time stamp, and nothing else.  These do not coincide with or duplicate the richer alerts for people, animals, vehicles, etc.  They come at random times and with no recordings to back them up.  I have no idea what they’re trying to tell me or if they’re even valid.  Can someone explain what’s happening and how to get them to stop?

SipasDad
Guide
Guide

Also having this issue. Started 2 or 3 days ago. Does not seem to be correlated to light on or anything else that I can tell. Just random.

APTANDY
Tutor
Tutor

Tickets raised

Still no response

have to disable the camera at night now as activity zones also are broken so the light keeps coming in and #Alert notification is spamming on activation and deactivation of the light

time to cancel the subscription i think and look for another product which is very  disappointing considering i have  multiple cameras but the one floodlight cam is essentially broken at a software level and arlo customer services are non existent.  

Ring will pick up a lot of customers i suspect due to this.  

saforrest19
Tutor
Tutor

My support ticket was closed. No comment or idea why it was, just closed.

Awful service. I agree - it’s time for me to cancel my subscription and look to alternative products now. 

bryncas
Initiate
Initiate

I think given the fact Arlo has happily taken our money for the camera, continues to take our subscription money even though the floodlight cannot be used as what it was purchased for as a flood light and they just ignore their customers and close tickets without a response, complaining here isn’t going to do a thing. I bet if we start writing truthful reviews reflecting the product and Arlo support on the websites where we purchased the floodlight and on product review sites, maybe that will get Arlo to do something. 

Tr712344455
Initiate
Initiate

Mine just started doing this. Also getting vehicle detected alerts when the cars been parked for hours.

EORP
Tutor
Tutor

I too am receiving these “#alert notification”, but no recordings for our floodlight and wired doorbell. Ours happen in the middle of the night and I’m worried that the cameras are missing out on something important. Got my cameras back in July and the trial period is ending soon (9/25 and 10/17).  This just started to happen a few days ago. Any solutions from Arlo?

godblesstexas
Initiate
Initiate

Add me to the list - started three days go. #alert but no video. According to James C, the “development team” has been looking into this for at least 6 weeks. How about fixing it or giving some actual information about it?

SeanAshmore
Apprentice
Apprentice
Dbrzezinska
Tutor
Tutor

This is also happening to me. I am also getting a “#alert” notification rather than the appropriate smart notifications so I get notifications for ANY MOTION OR AUDIO the ENTIRE NIGHT. Absolutely infuriating. I purposely have no notifications for vehicles as they come by all day and night. 

This is only happening on my two Arlo pro 3 floodlights, my other cameras are just fine. It is only happening when it’s dark and the light turns on. It also happens when I manually turn the light on. 

I have done it all. Power cycling, removing and reinserting battery, removing and reinstalling the camera, removing and reinstalling the app, removing and re-adding the cameras from my subscription, turning off smart notifications and turning them back on. Triple checked their firmware is updated. My iOS is updated. 

This is clearly an issue on Arlo’s end where the sensor that tells the camera to turn on the light is also alerting our phones.

CAN WE PLEASE KEEP BUMPING THIS POST because Arlo is clearly not taking this seriously as a system wide issue. 

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo seems to be playing with some new firmware but I’m not convinced this is where the issue lies. Push notifications come from the server. The server is also what processes the video and classifies the smart notifications. 
I’m really surprised this is taking this long. It should be fairly easy to identify a bug that you can recreate on demand…

Dbrzezinska
Tutor
Tutor

The only fix is to turn off “turn on floodlight” in the mode/rules but that defeats the purpose of having the floodlight. This is the only thing that made the notifications go back to what they were. @james c please tell Arlo that the glitch is related to the floodlight itself 

Ssoto
Initiate
Initiate

Hello, I keep getting a message that states “#alert” and when I go to see what motion there was I cannot find anything on my camera. I am also not receiving any recordings in my library. I don’t know what’s going on. Help anyone ? 

JasonKing
Aspirant
Aspirant

Customer service here sucks! I've told them I can trigger the same alert just by turning the light on and again turning it off from the app, but they still insist that I need to do factory reset, uninstall the app, change where I have the camera installed, etc. Why they can't just figure out it is a software / server issue is beyond me. If it wasn't the fact the cameras are basically glorified motion detectors without the subscription I would cancel yesterday!

AnnoyedArloUser
Initiate
Initiate

Can the development team put out at least a quick fix for notifications to not be sent if it contains the string “#alert”?

This is driving me absolutely insane and I feel like soccer kicking my Arlo floodlight camera off a cliff and never buying Arlo products again.

Discussion stats