Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
chrisdr1402
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought a Wasserstein outdoor charging cable for my Arlo pro floodlight and when connected I get a message the that camera and light are disabled while charging and will not respond to mode changes.  This defeats the purpose I had in mind which is 24/7 recording which requires to be connected at all times.  

According to the app, I got the latest firmware and out of options for resolving this issue.  

the magnetic charger is:  Wasserstein 25ft weatherproof outdoor magnetic charging cable with quick charge adapter for Arlo ultra, ultra2, pro 3, pro 4 and flood.

Any advice or solution to propose ?

Thanks

Christian

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This is normal operation. If you need to keep the camera online, use a solar panel or a second battery with the external charging station.

chrisdr1402
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the proposed solutions. Christian
debare
Aspirant
Aspirant

I made the mistake of buying the Wasserstein outdoor charging cable without realizing there is a voltage difference between the various USB cables provided by third-party vendors and Arlo. The only solution I found that gives me the full benefits of the Arlo Pro Floodlight - i.e. the brightest spotlight - is buying the actual Arlo outdoor cable (comes in black or white).  So now the unit is continually charged and fires up to the maximum 3000 lumens - meaning I don't have to worry about battery life - when the floodlight and camera actually work. 

In fact, I find my six (6) Arlo Pro 3 cameras seem to have a mind of their own - turning off or disconnecting from the Arlo Smart Hub until I force them to re-connect. It's random, intermittent, and extremely annoying - given the high cost of the hardware and monthly subscriptions. 

In my opinion, Arlo makes the best-looking cameras on the market - almost impossible for anyone to spot unless they are really looking ... or the spotlight fires up at night. However, the inconsistent performance - cutting out during motion recording, missing the start of motion, or often just not recording any motion at all - has driven me to despair. I keep hoping that a firmware upgrade or some other solution will solve these issues but they have been ongoing since I installed them in June 2021. 

PS. I did notice as I was writing this post at 3:00 am in the morning that there is actually a firmware upgrade happening right now on the Pro 3 cameras ... sooooooo maybe that will fix the ongoing challenges!!!!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

there is a voltage difference between the various USB cables provided by third-party vendors and Arlo.

this is not uncommon...  many companies use these diffs to make their products sell.  Also at times diff dropping resistors on data/power lines to allow charging.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
debare
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agreed - I was just explaining why the OEM cable (or even an 'indoor' Arlo cable) will not provide the juice needed to keep the double-battery security floodlight running while it's charging. I did keep the Wasserman cable for charging my other Pro 3 cameras when the Wasserman solar panels can't keep up in my often cloudy weather here. It works great on these single battery units. Cheers. 

KG0998
Aspirant
Aspirant

yeah,

you can take backup for the battery

MGEllis
Tutor
Tutor
So really to use the floodlight to its potential I have to buy additional charging cables from arlo at 4 times their worth?

I have 4 of these lights costing somewhere around 1500 dollars. And now I have to go spend another 4 hundred dollars on cables. That’s bananas.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@MGEllis wrote:
So really to use the floodlight to its potential I have to buy additional charging cables from arlo at 4 times their worth?

I have 4 of these lights costing somewhere around 1500 dollars. And now I have to go spend another 4 hundred dollars on cables. That’s bananas.

Where are you getting $400? The 25 ft outdoor is $50 and probably cheaper on Amazon. $200 for 4 at most. 

MGEllis
Tutor
Tutor
In USD maybe. In Canada we get screwed. In CAD Best Buy has them at 99 bucks. 75 on Amazon.
debare
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sadly MGEllis ... so true ... BestBuyCanada did have the white Arlo outdoor cables for CAD $69 but for some reason, they couldn't explain the black ones were CAD $99. But BestBuyUSA - both colours were $USD 49. Go figure.

Anyway, the black Arlo that I eventually got does actually do the job perfectly so the floodlight is always charged and beams at night at the maximum Lumens - which is why I got it. 

Cheers.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation