Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jefferickson
Aspirant
Aspirant

just bought a new Arlo Pro 2, 6 camera system.  I want to put the best home router for the new system with range externders and also include all the family wireless needs (Iphones, laptops, etc...)

WHAT MODEL WILL WORK BEST !!!!!!!

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

@jefferickson

A little expensive, but I purchased the Netgear Orbi system with two satellites that I put on either end of my home because the satellites have 4 ethernet ports each and the router has three. I also purchase two Pro base stations to plug into each satellite, that way all of my cameras have a signal strength of 3 bars. There are several models available, but if it were me, I would purchase the RBK50 with two satellites. There is a new Orbi router available with the modem built in but I am not sure about the availability.

I previously used range extenders but was never completely happy with them as you had to have different names for each of them.

I have been very happy with my Orbi system, (3 months so far and zero problems).

Brian

jefferickson
Aspirant
Aspirant

thank you Brian for your input !!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, since the wireless systems use a base station that connects to the router via Ethernet any new router will work fine. If you need expanded coverage for your WiFi (which Arlo does not use), the Orbi or similar systems as well as WiFi extenders work fine. Your existing router is likely fine as far as Arlo is concerned.

Jcrizo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Brian how do you use 2 Pro base stations? Do you have some cameras on one station and others on the other station?
Thanks
Jose
brh
Master
Master

@Jcrizo

Yes, my cable/internet enters my home in the middle so my touter, etc. is located centrally in my home. I chose the Orbi router so that I can put base stations at either end of my home to maximize the signal strength of all my cameras. I actually have a third original base near the router for a total of three, but presently I have no cameras attatched to it. I have 3 cameras linked to one base station and 5 cameras linked to the second base.

Using more than one base station means that each one must be armed seperately,but I alos have a Samsung Smartthings hub and with that I just leave all the cameras in the constantly Armed state and let Smartthings control which cameras to activate/deactivate depending the circumstances. Smartthings doesn't care that the cameras are on different base stations. 

Brian

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation