Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Gardenut
Apprentice
Apprentice

I want to buy used cameras, but how can I check to make sure they weren't stolen if I can't contact Arlo?  The "chat" says I have to pay $99 to talk to someone.  If that's the case, WHY BUY ARLO?!?!

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Well since you say you have the Pro2 cameras, you prob don't have a subscription.  (?)

You can get help here if it's a question others can answer, but without a subscription you are past the 3 month free tech help direct from Arlo.

As to stolen cameras, it is unknown but since the cameras date back a few years, there are many for sale now...

I would just be careful with the return policy from whoever you purchase from ( like ebay ).

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TomMac wrote:

I would just be careful with the return policy from whoever you purchase from ( like ebay ).

Of course, used kit doesn't always work - so even if it isn't stolen, you need to be careful with the return policy.

@Gardenut - from your point of view, a camera you can't onboard (for whatever reason) doesn't work - so it's not really different from the camera being defective.

Gardenut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks, but individual sellers don't offer a return policy.  Do you know if there is a way to contact a live person at Arlo without having a "subscription"?  I want to check the serial numbers against those that are stolen before I buy the cameras.   I have the original Arlo cameras that used to include customer service, but they have apparently changed their business model.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gardenut wrote:

Do you know if there is a way to contact a live person at Arlo without having a "subscription"?

Perhaps one of the mods can help - @JamesC or @ShayneS.

Note that you can't onboard them unless the original owner removed them from the account.  So stolen isn't the only scenario - the owner might simply not realized that removing them from the account was needed. 

Gardenut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if I'm about to buy a stolen camera?  There's NO warranty with Ebay, Offerup, Craigslist, etc....   I WISH I could contact the Company - IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET CUSTOMER SERVICE WITHOUT FIRST PAYING THEM $100?

Gardenut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why wouldn't I be able to onboard?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gardenut wrote:

Why wouldn't I be able to onboard?

Because the Arlo Cloud won't onboard a device that is already in another account.

It won't tell you why the onboarding is failing - it just doesn't work.

Gardenut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hmmm, didn't know that. Thanks. I've purchased used cameras from sellers before (before stealing cameras was so popular) and never had an issue linking to the base (which I assume is the same as "onboarding"). ~guess I was lucky.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation