Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
alwayscur1ous
Guide
Guide

Zones not working....here is a picture of my defined zones for arlo smart

zones.png

Yet this is the video of a person setting off the front door.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/9B8CC2B0CCD3F31C_201806

8 REPLIES 8
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

How is your camera powered?

Zones don't work on batteries even if you have set them up when connected to the mains.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@michaelkenward The OP must be talking about the new cloud activity zones, which are part of the new Arlo Smart.  The cloud zones work on battery power.

Some of the Arlo literature suggests the cloud zones will prevent recordings from motion outside the zones. This would be the same behavior as the non-smart zones.  However, during the Arlo Smart beta, the cloud zones did nothing more than prevent alerts for activity outside the zones.  All motion anywhere in the frame was still recorded.

Some folks seem to be finding that the cloud zones work like they did in the beta.

alwayscur1ous
Guide
Guide
@st_shaw you are correct I am talking about the cloud smart zones. I don't even care if it still records the issue is that I got alerted in this circumstance even though there was no motion in any of the zones which defeats the purpose of having the zones.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Thanks for clarifying.  We can’t see your image until a moderator approves it. The zones are based on pixel detection, so they may be very sensitive. Shadows, moving grass, anything that changes the image might set it off. I’m not positive but I expect a PIR detection is also required, which will require something warm moving in the frame too, which will reduce false alarms.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@alwayscur1ous I can see your zones now, but the video link has expired. Can you post the video again?  I think the links only last 24 hrs. Thanks. 

alwayscur1ous
Guide
Guide
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

alwayscur1ous,

Looking at both the video and the activity zones, it looks like maybe the persons shadow moved through your blue detection zone, causing the trigger. I recommend, if possible, that you try a test yourself, moving around very clearly outside the activity zones you have set up currently to see if you can force a trigger. If you can force a false trigger, try a base station reboot and test again to see if you get the same result.

JamesC

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Thanks.  If you watch the video very carefully, it appears that the person's shadow enters the green zone at the top right of the green zone.  The moving shadow will create pixel changes and that should be expected to trigger an alert.

You might try making the zones a little smaller or reducing the sensitivity if you keep getting alerts you don't want.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation