Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Your Arlo Device Appears Offline ... And repeat

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Kingy
Guide
Guide
Installed Arlo Pro2 base station and four cameras at my elderly mother house. Purchased via Amazon on 18/7/2018. Installed for her security and my peace of mind as I travel a lot and it enables me to ensure she is ok. Have looked on here and can't see a response. Not easy to open a ticket and live chat isn't working for some reason. So far so bad!
Got the 'Your Arlo Device Appears Offline' last week displaying on all live camera feeds. Basestation (in app) said it was offline despite the three green lights being on.
Tried reset. Switched in off (base station and router). Opened and closed cameras. Tried syncing base station. Nothing worked. Internet and power all good as other devices working via them.

Removed base station through the app on Sunday 4/11/18 and then added (synced) all four cameras individually again. Everything then worked fine.

I'm now 300 miles from home and wondered why no Arlo notifications. Last one was 4.30pm (2.5 hours ago) and all cameras now offline again.
Nothing wrong with internet or power supply so it's Arlo ... AGAIN.

Help.
This system is not fit for purpose if it cannot retain a stable connection.
Why suddenly issues like this and what is the solution?
Urgent advice require to sort this. I will be home for weekend and need to resolve it then.
15 REPLIES 15
Kingy
Guide
Guide
Come on Arlo support. You drive customers to post issues on here rather than starting support tickets directly with you - so please respond and help myself and others with serious issues. 24 hours is enough time to acknowledge a problem where your product(s) will not function.

Nothing has changed on our side (internet/ power/ users) since purchase of Arlo Pro 2 (3 camera with a 4th added) in July, but it seems many users are having the same or similar issues as a result of your latest updates.

My elderly mother is now panicking as she sees this very expensive security system as useless. I can't even placate her with news that you have provided a solution or at least a potential fix as you haven't even acknowledged my post.

Very disappointed and will be hounding Amazon for a refund or persuing refund via my credit card for faulty goods if we cannot get help soon.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Kingy,

Try to make sure that your cameras are close to the Base Station and make sure that your Base Station is getting a stable connection from your router. You can check out some of the troubleshooting steps to try out here: My Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free, or Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free camera is offline; how can I troubles...

Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Im having similar problems, yet even when the app says the cameras are offline, they are sending motion notifications and apparently recording video.  Mine say offline frequently even though they have a strong wifi signal from the base.  Yet even offline mine recorded a actual robery today!   SW seems very buggy

Kingy
Guide
Guide
Thanks @JessicaP . The link you gave is one I used to try and resolve the issue. I did all of what is suggested and finally removed base station from system. I then re installed it with no issues and re synced cameras and it all worked fine for 2 days - then all offline again.
We have had no issues with internet or power since initial install 4 months ago (during which time the system has worked faultlessly) so WiFi and camera distances have been perfect which is why I'm lost as to the reason for the sudden issue - other than something Arlo have made happen with upgrades That is the only factor that has changed and from.posts here in which is affecting many other users in the same/similar ways.

I will try your troubleshooting again once I get home. If it does not fix it I will remove cameras and base station again this weekend and re install/sync everything, effectively starting afresh again.

If I get the same 'device appears offline' problem .again is there anything else I can do?
Or do I need to return the system to Amazon or Arlo for a full refund? We cannot continue with a CCTV security system that will not work.

Further advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou.
Kingy
Guide
Guide
@Dave32B Thanks for the reply. With my mother's system there are no recordings (in library or against individual cameras) once they are 'offline'. I will check the USB to see if they are recording to that, but otherwise there is nothing.

To be honest, that's not much help as the main reason (aside from 24 hours monitoring/ recording) is that I can see that all is ok with my elderly mother whilst I am away. My mother also uses the app via phone or tablet to see who is at her door or on her land to decide whether she needs to go to one of her doors. Since installing the Arlo system she has quickly found the feature of monitoring callers to be very reassuring, especially as clocks ahve gone back in the UK and we are now getting to dark nights earlier and earlier.

Access via the app/ online is a critical part of our use and to lose this in yhe way we have makes the system quite useless.

I couldn't be more disappointed as I suggested this system over a (cheaper) wired alternative as I thought the Arlo Pro would be better for her. I am now seriously regretting that decision. I just hope that Arlo will offer a solution which gives us the same reliable, working system we had over the last few months.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Kingy and @Dave32B,

What phone device are you using and what Android/iOS version are you running? Also be sure that you are running the latest Arlo app version. Try to check if the web client is showing this error too or not if you haven't already.

Kingy
Guide
Guide

Hi @JessicaP 

My details are: 

Phone = Pixel 2 XL running android v9. Latest Arlo app installed (2.2.6_22800)

Computer = Apple Mac running Safari 12.01 and viewed through safari web client.

In both cases (Android app and iOS web) the error is the same. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Have you tried to remove your cameras and resync them and see if that helps with the problem you're having? If you are still having problems, let me know and I can create a case for you so our support team can further help you out.

Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Note 8 running 8.1

Ive rebooted everything

Ive factoary reset and set evereything up a second time

Ive chnaged my dns in the router to be 8.8.8.8 (someone suggested that)

No effect.  The cameras are recording for me and sending alerts.  Just no live view cause the app says they are offline.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Just to make sure, are you seeing this problem through the web client as well? And when you said you did a factory reset, was this through the base station? Did you remove your devices and re-added them back on?

Kingy
Guide
Guide

@JessicaP wrote:

Have you tried to remove your cameras and resync them and see if that helps with the problem you're having? If you are still having problems, let me know and I can create a case for you so our support team can further help you out.

Hi @JessicaP - I am now home and have now done ^^ this. I have the system up and running again (as expected).

Will see if it stays in use, or if the 'Device appears Offline' problem reoccurs. Will add a post on here to let you know how I go on and we can then look at creating a case for support team. Thankyou for the assitance so far. 

Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JessicaP wrote:

Just to make sure, are you seeing this problem through the web client as well? And when you said you did a factory reset, was this through the base station? Did you remove your devices and re-added them back on?

Yes, when you reset the base had to re-set up all cameras.

After a few days the cameras seem to be online more often, but still randomly say offline in the app.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Dave32B,

What I'll do is help create a case for you so our support team can look further into the problems you're having where you're still seeing it show that your cameras are offline randomly. I have sent you a PM to gather some information in order to help you out.

bubdog
Apprentice
Apprentice

My cameras are failed as of this morning. They appear as online in the app but there are no recordings and attempting to connect to live view times out. No internet connection problems. Rebooted the base station and there is no change. It appears to only be a problem with my wired CVR cameras. This is completely unacceptable Arlo, especially since I am paying you! Security cameras should never go offline and in the rare case they do they must notify the user immediately of the problem. Failing silently like my cameras have done is the worst possible thing a security camera can do. What if I were out of town? What if there was some evidence I needed to collect from the cameras? I guess it's just luck of the draw whether or not you are protected by Arlo.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @bubdog,

Are you experiencing this issue when you're viewing through the web client on your computer as well?

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation