Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I Add an Additional Siren (Base Station) To Enhance Intruder Alert

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
coolnige
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to increase inturder discomfort when the 100+db Arlo Base Station siren is activated.

Rather than integrating a third party siren, is it possible to add a second Arlo base station thereby adding and additional siren alert? 

If a second base station can be added to the first account (similar to adding Pro2 cameras or Security lights etc...) that would be ideal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Actually, I've just checked and you CAN get Arlo to natively trigger multiple base station sirens with a single motion detection. Ignore what I said about Smartthings if that's all you're wanting ot achieve

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You can add as many base stations as you like except each one creates an independent system in the Arlo app. So a camera triggering one base siren cannot trigger another base siren or trigger other cameras on the 2nd base station. A good workaround is using something that can tie everything together like Smartthings

coolnige
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you 'Master Steve'.

Regards ST... if I use this system, should I expect as reliable service as is currently provided by Arlo?

Happy to move to Smartthings, just as long as it is reliable.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I use smartthings as an add-on rather than a "move to" scenario. While you can use the Arlo cameras to record to the smartthings cloud, I prefer everything still runs to the Arlo cloud. The integration just expands the abilities of both smart home systems
Unfortunately, anything/everything that is cloud based seems to have 99% reliability with random occasions where a server goes down or a firmware update messes something up. If anything, adding ST to your home would give you some redundancy in home security. The other options being that you host your own home hub through things like Hubitat or HASS (Home Assistant)

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Actually, I've just checked and you CAN get Arlo to natively trigger multiple base station sirens with a single motion detection. Ignore what I said about Smartthings if that's all you're wanting ot achieve

coolnige
Aspirant
Aspirant

Master Steve... or Steve the Master? Thank you for your interest. Natively add a base station siren to an existing system is great –  just what I am looking to achieve and therefore increase the siren annoyance for the next intruder.

BTW, this system is on a boat. Power is available via shore power plus redundancy from 12 volt inverter power. System is – Arlo Pro2 cameras, Arlo security lights, Arlo base station siren. Our aim is to shorten the time an intruder is on board the boat. Loud 'uncomfortable' siren sound I believe is a strong deterrent.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation