Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
ddo89
Tutor
Tutor

Hi -

I have eight wired ArloPro2 cameras connected to 4 base stations.    One of the cameras (model H3 firmware 1.125.5.0_17202) connected to base station (hardware VMB40000r3 and firmware 1.9.8.0.16666) stops working every night between 6-8p and starts working again in the morning.    The other seven cameras work fine.

I suspect that the issue started after the last firmware update.

I have tried connecting the camera to another base station and have the same issue (so issue is not related to base station.)

I tried calling and chat support but unfortunatly Arlo support reps are not technical and could only recommend that I remove the camera and resync it again (which as per above I have done many many times.)

I have asked for base station error logs (as it is a netgear router) as I imagine that there would be errors prior to the camera going offline.   Unfortunately, reps have been told not to share this information.

Has any experienced a similar issue?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope. Can't image an update would affect a time period.

Are you using a schedule? If so, have you checked the schedule as well as the mode for that time? During that time, is the running man for the camera black or gray? You could swap cameras around to see what happens.

ddo89
Tutor
Tutor

I am not using any schedule (mode is on first option "ARMED").   

ddo89
Tutor
Tutor

I seem to have been able to solve this by TURNING OFF NIGHT VISION.   

1.  If I turn off night vision the camera works AND the image at night looks good.

2.  If I turn on night vision the camera goes off line.  I am able to get the camera back on line by going to settings, video settings and  turning night vision OFF.

I have tested this several times.  Night Vision On -> camera stops working.  Night Vision Off -> Camera starts working.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use your open case or create another. That's not normal behavior. Insist on elevating the problem to higher levels of support.

ddo89
Tutor
Tutor

I have escalated to tier 3 and have asked them to pull the logs from the base station.   

From what I have observed, I believe that the problem is caused by:

1.  Camera is powered by a power adapter w/the battery removed.  

2.  With the battery removed, no charging, the camera draws 5V at 2a from the power adapter.

3.  Battery can not be used as (1) can not continually charge a lithion battery, (2) camera is outside in a covered area and temperatures go below 32F (operation limit of battery)

4.  The NightVision setting turns on the infrared lights when it gets dark

5.  The infrared lights use current which in turn lowers the available power for the WiFi connection

6.  This causes the camera to lose the ability to transmit (although it appears to still be able to receive commands from the base station)

This explains why the camera goes offline at dark and online at sunset.

Also of note - even with the Night Vision turned off the camera still goes into night vision mode (black and white versus color image).  However, there is no infrared lights to help detect images/movement.

Solution might be to find a 6-8V 2A power adapter.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If all of that is the case, it's still bad hardware. This is a unique scenario that others using the same camera model in the same way don't experience.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@ddo89 wrote:

I have escalated to tier 3 and have asked them to pull the logs from the base station.   

From what I have observed, I believe that the problem is caused by:

1.  Camera is powered by a power adapter w/the battery removed.  

2.  With the battery removed, no charging, the camera draws 5V at 2a from the power adapter.

3.  Battery can not be used as (1) can not continually charge a lithion battery, (2) camera is outside in a covered area and temperatures go below 32F (operation limit of battery)

4.  The NightVision setting turns on the infrared lights when it gets dark

5.  The infrared lights use current which in turn lowers the available power for the WiFi connection

6.  This causes the camera to lose the ability to transmit (although it appears to still be able to receive commands from the base station)

This explains why the camera goes offline at dark and online at sunset.

Also of note - even with the Night Vision turned off the camera still goes into night vision mode (black and white versus color image).  However, there is no infrared lights to help detect images/movement.

Solution might be to find a 6-8V 2A power adapter.

I would think using the camera with the battery inserted should provide the current needed for the IR LEDs and solve your issue.

I believe the Arlo Pro2 specs are operation to -4F with charging stopping below 32F. The battery should operate below 32F, just not charge.

I didn't see anything in the doucmentation saying you need to remove the battery when plugged in. The camera should have a circuit that disabled charging when the battery doesn't need it.

ddo89
Tutor
Tutor

Correct - the battery should continue working up until -20F. 

However, the battery life is very short (less than 1 day) at sub-zero temperatures. 

As the battery can not be charged below 32F [without permanent damage to the battery] it means that (1) the camera will be able to access the battery when there is a multi-day strech of cold days (below 32F) - this is the norm, or (2) the charting capacity of the battery will drop rapdily from the number of consecutive charge cycles.

Net is that these devices were not built for outdoor and or in use in cold climates.  (Lots of discussions on this in these threads and on the web).

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@ddo89 wrote:

As the battery can not be charged below 32F [without permanent damage to the battery] it means that (1) the camera will be able to access the battery when there is a multi-day strech of cold days (below 32F) - this is the norm, or (2) the charting capacity of the battery will drop rapdily from the number of consecutive charge cycles.

Net is that these devices were not built for outdoor and or in use in cold climates.  (Lots of discussions on this in these threads and on the web).

Sure, if the temperature never goes above 32, then the battery will never recharge and the camera will die eventually.  However, as long as the temperature rises above 32 degrees long enough for the battery to replenish the charge used, you will be able to operate continuously.  

Like you said, the best solution would be to use a 2 Amp power adapter. The indoor power adapter I have for my Pro 2 is rated at 1.8 A.

I'm curious. What changes would you recommend NETGEAR implement to allow operation in cold temperatures?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I know! I know! Car batteries!

ddo89
Tutor
Tutor
There should be (1) an outdoor power adapter, (2) usb connector should be replaced with a more robust and water proof power connector, (3) device should not require 2A - that is a lot of current and will result in voltage drops if powered from inside building , (4) 2.4ghz WiFi should be repplqced with a mesh network - too much channel interference on 2.4ghz.

On the positive - web and mobile apps are very good, HD image is great, subscription is very reasonable.
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation