Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why is cloud storage required

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
deisenlohr
Follower
Follower

Why is cloud storage required (and a subscription)  Can't maintain my privacy by storing data locally only?  Going to resell my arlo pro 2 four camera system if this isn't fixed soon.  Also won't recommend to others. 

4 REPLIES 4
Dholliy
Guide
Guide

Wondering if your referring to the recent software update issue of no longer being able to “Delete” old footage? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A subscription has never been needed. Those are options if you want/need something specific.

The cloud usage is spelled out in every manual, piece of literature, etc. so that shouldn't be a surprise. 

And I strongly suggest you NEVER delete a video since we get regular requests to recover some. Unfortunately, deleted videos aren't recoverable but there's no real need to delete. The stated space limitation hasn't been enforced for years now.

awad212
Initiate
Initiate

Netgear is making their cloud storage a primary source for looking at previous footage. I beleive if netgear really cared about their customers especially if they are  paying these prices, At lease give us the flexibility to CVR all cameras without paying nearly $10/month per camera. I have plenty of local storage space on my server. i understand it stores locally for regular footage however i was told by netgear CVR is only on the cloud. This is not giving us many options. I dont understand, I spent $800 on a camera system that i cannot have them record constantly while plugged in without paying a monthly premium even if i have the local storage. At least give us that option for the cameras we own.

Bobbenson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with the OP! These are very personal images, and having netgear catalog my private life and have access to call it up, even when I don’t l, is really not something a lot of people are ok with including me.
I realize the manual states cloud storage, but I don’t think many people realize the invasive nature of netgears cataloging!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation