Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
-MIKE-
Star
Star

When I open the app or the website to the arlo interface, the screens for my different cameras all show a still picture with a time stamp, ie: "15m ago" or "12hrs ago" or something like that.  Then I have to click/touch the "Live" button in the center of the video window to see live video.   
Why doesn't the interface default to showing live video?  Isn't that the priority of having a security camera.  I don't need to see a snapshot of nothing happening from hours ago.  I need to see what's happening right now.   

Is there a setting that does this and I just haven't set it properly?   

20 REPLIES 20
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That is normal.... It isn't necessary to auto go into streaming if the cameras were previously ARMED...

If ARMED, the cameras would have captured any motion detected anyway.

When you go to LIVE view, btw, you are over-riding the mode commands and if you want recordings have to manually start them.

Remember these cams mostly run on batteries and this is to conserve battery power.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
-MIKE-
Star
Star

It would be nice to be able to have it initially load the interface with live video.  
Perhaps they could work in that feature for cameras that are plugged into the AC adapter.  

When I hear a loud thump on the porch, I'd like to immediately know if it's a raccoon or an intruder.  

The response to each is quite different.  
Perhaps I need a hardwired system that isn't battery or wifi dependent.  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Also, you can view up to 5 live streams at a time. I have 11 cameras though only a few have AC power. Not sure how the website (app maybe could off the push notification) would know which cameras to stream on opening. In saying this, I think the Arlo Baby can stream on opening??

-MIKE-
Star
Star

If there's no way to set cameras (all or individual) to stream upon opening the app, I think a great improvement to the system would be to at least show a live snapshot.  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The snapshot is of the last motion/audio activation so it's kinda right IMO. I wouldn't want to get a notification of an activation and then open the app to see an empty area outside my door because the person who came to it had walked away. This way, you get to see what triggered the event... most of the time

Azpugmom
Initiate
Initiate
I totally agree! I hear something or the dog goes nuts, I want to check right away who or what is there.. Now i have to hit the "live" button, wait forever to load, then be able to view it. And this is of course, the app is already open!! By this time, whatever made the noise is long gone so now go to library and wait (if it loads!) another minute or two! This system has some major flaws!
RVP
Star
Star

My app go straight to MODES.  I am still fighting to get it open to Cameras (Devices). No luck yet.  Any help!

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

Mike, basic question, are your cameras armed at the time you want to see in real time what the camera is viewing? If armed and the camera is pointed at your area of interest, the last image should be what tripped motion detection. The cameras are pretty good at not being triggered when a porch light comes on or the wind is moving something around. However, if what you are interested in seeing isn't heat related, say furniture being blown around by storm winds, then you probably need to run with constant power to the camera and leave live view running. I'm not sure if live view times out eventually though. Agreed, it take a while for live view to activate, just tested it and it was 18 seconds in my one test. 

Your question raises a point about what a surveillance camera should do. One option is for continuous human monitoring, so someone at a station watching monitors. The second, which Arlo does, is record a short video when triggered by an event, in Arlo's case, when the camera detects an object of a different temperature than the background moves across that background. You get a record of when that object moved across the view, whether that object is a person, animal, or vehicle.

-MIKE-
Star
Star

Armed?  I don't think so.  Knowing the last still image is the last motion trip is good to know.  Thanks.  

As for leaving live view running.  Are you saying this can be done when the power adapter is plugged in?  Because I plan to have these powered.   

As for your last statements.  I think surveillance cameras shouldn't take a giant leap backward for the sake of adding the awesome features provided by newer technology.  Arlo and others have brought really cool features to security surveillance, but I don't like losing old features to have the new.  I realize this new technology is still growing and there are limitations, especially with battery power.  

However, relying only on motion detection is a bit naive, because we all know all the kinks haven't been worked out in that department.   🙂    With hi-def cameras comes the ability to see things very far away.  If I hear something in my backyard and I want to see if it's a raccoon or the kid who's been breaking into cars in the neighborhood, the motion detection of the Arlo probably isn't going to pick it up that far away, BUT the camera can still "see" that far.  

As slow as it is to get the screen up and see live video, I don't want it to be slowed down further by having to choose live video again after the app comes on screen.   I understand "slow" is relative.  The Arlo system has already proven to be much faster than the Samsung SmartCams we already have.  But slow, in my book, is any amount of time that is longer than it takes that kid to run out of sight.  🙂   

steve_t
Master Master
Master

-MIKE- wrote:

As for leaving live view running.  Are you saying this can be done when the power adapter is plugged in?  Because I plan to have these powered.   

Unfortunately, even when powered, your live view session will time out after 30 mins (I think it's 30 mins... not 100% sure).

A Pro 2 camera fully powered would probably do well with CVR, but it's an additional cost.

Agree that PIR (+ or - pixel detection) for a powered Pro2 camera isn't ideal though I'm not confident this will change for this model of camera

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

-MIKE- wrote:

Armed?  I don't think so.  Knowing the last still image is the last motion trip is good to know.  Thanks.   

If you leave your outside cameras always armed, you'll get video of anything moving sufficient to cause the camera to begin recording. So your last image is the image of the thing that last moved. Some people disarm the outside camera when home with geofencing so they don't get endless recordings of kids playing in the yard. It's a tradeoff, either you record everything that moves friend or foe (armed) or you record nothing (disarmed). 

To capture video of something or someone far away will need something like cable connected CCTV recording 24 hours a day to a harddrive. Not sure an Arlo is going to do that for you. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

VancouverBC wrote:

To capture video of something or someone far away will need something like cable connected CCTV recording 24 hours a day to a harddrive. Not sure an Arlo is going to do that for you. 

A powered Arlo 2 with CVR would function as described. Unfortunately there's no official way to power the camera outside currently

-MIKE-
Star
Star

Both my Arlo 2 Pros are powered outside.  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

-MIKE- wrote:

Both my Arlo 2 Pros are powered outside.  

Either using a 3rd party cable or a recalled part

-MIKE-
Star
Star

Do you have a point?  
I bought the Wasserstein outdoor cable/adapter.  
It powers the camera.  It outputs the same voltage as the one that came with the camera.  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

-MIKE- wrote:

Do you have a point?  
I bought the Wasserstein outdoor cable/adapter.  
It powers the camera.  It outputs the same voltage as the one that came with the camera.  

"Unfortunately there's no official way..." ie if your 3rd party cable leaks in the rain and your camera shorts and/or has a fire, you obviously won't get covered by Netgear. I'm sure if it's under an eave, it won't be a major risk but of course it's at your own risk

-MIKE-
Star
Star

1st, why didn't you post that in your previous reply? 

2nd, what does any of that have to do with my inquiry.  They are being powered outdoors, which is what you stated would allow " Arlo 2 with CVR would function as described."  
3rd, I just realized that one of the cameras is being powered by the Netgear power cable and adapter that came with it in the box.  They are both under eaves and away from direct rain, however, that is also irrelevant in the context of my inquiry.  

Furthermore, I believe Netgear should be a little more forthright with this information about having "no official way" to power these outside when the main reason I bought the Arlo Pro2s was to have the features that are only available when being powered by the adapter.   

steve_t
Master Master
Master

1. If you scroll up, I did say it

2. I was replying to VancouverBC who said you need 24/7 recording and that they weren't sure Arlo was "going to do that for you", to which the correction is that Arlo Pro 2 can do CVR when powered by AC and with an additional subscription

3. The included adapter and cable is not rated for outdoor use but you're right, it has nothing to do with your original enquiry about live video when the app opens. I thought we had moved on from that.

There was an outdoor power adapter, VMA4700, that was recalled. The release of the fixed design should be forthcoming but nobody knows when it might be.

I'm sorry if I made you angry. All I was doing was ensuring that incorrect facts were corrected. Bear in mind that I don't work for Netgear. I'm just here trying to help people and they gave me a little badge to show they appreciate that. Happy to leave you to it

-MIKE-
Star
Star

I'm not angry.  
Words can come across harsh in text-only form.  

I do appreciate the help you provide.  

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

-MIKE- wrote:

They are both under eaves and away from direct rain, however, that is also irrelevant in the context of my inquiry.

That's how I have one camera powered out on the garage, the camera is mounted under the eves. The garage is an unfinished standalone building. It has power. The AC adapter and most of the wire is inside the garage with the last couple of feet of wire going out under the rafters to the camera. Everything is covered from the rain. 

Your setup should be fine too. As for continuous recording, you can subscribe for Arlo CVR and record continuously. I never checked the price so don't know if it's cost effective. Alternatively with cable connected CCTV recording to a hard drive. You buy once and you have no ongoing subscription costs. You can still remotely view the image on tablets or laptops if the recording base is connected to the Internet. Otherwise it can record continuously and if there is an incident you can review the video. 

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation