Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
skoiffman
Follower
Follower

Hi there community!

quick and simple...

What's the point of having two Base Stations? Any difference?

I go a set of 3 Arlo Pro 2 and then 3 months later I purchase 3 more and they came with a fifferent Base Station...I added them all no problem...but what do I do with the second base station that I have...???

4 REPLIES 4
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

You can keep it as a spare or you can use it to extend the range of your existing network, so that you can have cameras further from the original base station.

The latter requires a way to get a wired connection from the extra hub to the Internet, perhaps with a wireless access point, wifi extender or Powerline Ethernet.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TheWolk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Having two base stations lets you to setup different schedules. Also, from what I read, single base station supports only up to 5 simultaneous video streams from cameras so while it's not likely that all of your 6 cameras would get triggered at the same time, if that happens, video data from one of them will not be processed.

litbro
Guide
Guide

Look at the signal strength on all of your cameras.  If any camera has less signal strength then you can position that 2nd base station near to that "weak" camera and it will have "all bars".

I am using a 2nd base station to extend my camera reach farther up a long driveway.  You have to connect an ethernet cable to the second base station.

Curenntly I'm having trouble with the battery, it runs down in 7 days due to the increaased activity near the driveway entrance.  I'd like to find a simple way to remote-power this remoted Arlo Pro2 camera.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

A second base is the ONLY true way to expand coverage... or better signals to cameras

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation