Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What is the best charging option for Arlo Pro 2 batteries? camera, charging station, 3rd party

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
szee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently picked up a Arlo Pro 2 system w/3-cameras and I'm looking at my battery charging options.  Amazon reviews aren't exactly stellar for the Arlo charging station, especially at the original MSRP.  Pricing has dropped across the board, but still pricey IMO.  At current Pro 2 camera prices, does it make sense to buy a camera just to use as a charger?... you get an extra battery and a backup camera.  Third party charging station prices have also dropped but those reviews are mixed as well.  Has anyone tried 3rd party chargers?  Any long term issues in using a camera as a charging unit?  Stick with an Arlo charging station?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I've found the Arlo charge tube to be the best option. ( even over solar panel )

If you charge in the camera you will really only get 80% ( tho it will read 100% )... in the charge tube you get a true 100% charge, this means an extra 20% life of battery ( it stays at 100% longer due to the gauge algorithm )

Also when cold, below 32f, the battery will not charge outside so your option is to really swap batteries anyway, having an extra battery or two to charge / swap make it so much easier.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@szee wrote:

At current Pro 2 camera prices, does it make sense to buy a camera just to use as a charger?... you get an extra battery and a backup camera.  

FWIW, you'd also get another power adapter.   Not sure what prices you are seeing, but the ones I'm googling don't make it a very attractive option to me.

Personally I either take the cameras inside to charge, or temporarily run a cable to the camera (depending on where they are).  But my cameras are all within easy reach.  If your cameras aren't, then having a charged battery on hand would make the chore easier (only requiring one trip up the ladder).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I've found the Arlo charge tube to be the best option. ( even over solar panel )

If you charge in the camera you will really only get 80% ( tho it will read 100% )... in the charge tube you get a true 100% charge, this means an extra 20% life of battery ( it stays at 100% longer due to the gauge algorithm )

Also when cold, below 32f, the battery will not charge outside so your option is to really swap batteries anyway, having an extra battery or two to charge / swap make it so much easier.

Morse is faster than texting!
RMacD
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have Arlo with 3 cameras, there is no need to purchase a charging station, I simply unscrew the camera and charge it on my kitchen counter using the charging adapter that came with the cameras. It takes less than 2 hours.

szee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I guess I'm looking for a solution where I don't need to remove the camera for charging, just a battery swap-out.  It's a bit cumbersome to readjust camera positioning (with all the issues with motion detection) each time you take a camera down for charging.  Good point on the 80% camera charging limit.  Guess I'll stick with an Arlo charging station, even with uneven reliability issues.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've been using the charging station for years with absolutely no issues. By far my preferred way of charging.

dcfox1
Master
Master

I have the pro 3's and spent the extra for a battery and charging station. Cost more but a lot easier then bring the whole cam in and then and repositioning it. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation