Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Vmb5000 was online and working, now is offline after I blocked some sites.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
credding
Aspirant
Aspirant

Everything was working fine until I noticed users were eating up data causing high monthly bills.  I then enrolled the router into Asavie Moda, a site that allows me to block websites in order to control data.  The first site I blocked was amazonaws.com, also a few others.  Now the Hub is offline and not able to connect.  I unblocked all the sites and still can not get the Hub back online.  I plan on logging into the router and check for block ports.  Any suggestions?   

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@credding wrote:

Everything was working fine until I noticed users were eating up data causing high monthly bills.  I then enrolled the router into Asavie Moda, a site that allows me to block websites in order to control data.  The first site I blocked was amazonaws.com, also a few others.  Now the Hub is offline and not able to connect.  I unblocked all the sites and still can not get the Hub back online.  I plan on logging into the router and check for block ports.  Any suggestions?   

I believe that the Arlo Cloud runs on Amazon AWS servers, so blocking them would cause this problem.  

Try rebooting the router now that you've unblocked the sites.  Maybe also reach out to Asavie - their security features might be getting in the way.

credding
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB When the router is removed from Asavie the Arlo Hub works.  I am contacting Arlo support, I need to know how to find what IP or DNS addresses it connects to so I can whitelist it. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@credding wrote:

@StephenB When the router is removed from Asavie the Arlo Hub works.  I am contacting Arlo support, I need to know how to find what IP or DNS addresses it connects to so I can whitelist it. 

When you are doing that, also ask what DNS servers the Arlo Hub uses.  I believe it ignores the servers advertised by DHCP, and uses hard-coded DNS servers instead.   If I'm correct (and I'm pretty sure on this), Asavie will also need to allow DNS requests from the Hub.  Usually services like Asavie won't allow that (they require the DNS to go though their own server, so they can filter the DNS names).

I'd also ask Asavie if it is possible to whitelist the hub itself (allowing all it's traffic to flow through the router w/o any proxying).

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation