Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Cutouts while recording

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
improve58
Luminary
Luminary

A few times since installation two weeks ago I have noticed that several of our four cameras sometimes stop recording in the middle of motion. As far as I understand, camera should still record as long as there is motion. I'd rather not set up a fixed time period. I figure if motion stops for ______ seconds recording would stop but then should start again with three seconds of motion. I have sensitivity at highest.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The hard part about using this feature is to determine exactly how the camera can detect motion. It may be that the motion, when resumed, is too far away and/or to slow to be detected. Only testing will resolve this.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks. Also thought of the following:

1. It could be that the base station wifi is not close enough or blocked by a wall, or thrown off by the central wi-fi accounts in the apartment building. The farthest camera is really only 30 ft away and separated by one wall and an always-open door. I'll add that we have the base station on the bottom shelf of a computer desk, about 6inches off the floor. It is surrounded by the cable modem, computer, ups, etc. Perhaps it should be on top of the desk.

2. This happened both before and after I turned up sensitivity all the way, so that wouldn't seem to be a cause.

3. I don't the the manual explains what happens if you put cameras on for a fixed duration once motion is detected. If you say 3 minutes, then after the three minutes is up, then further motion will trigger it on again? Perhaps that's the solution.

4. In terms of your comment 'once motion starts again, perhaps it's too slow or far away' in the main instance the motion never stopped and was quite close but still stopped after 8 seconds. That's the camera farthest from the base station but it also happens on others.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Of course the outside possibility is that the wireless system is being jammed. Probably wouldn't be hard to do.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation