Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4500 base station not connected to internet

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Reported by my mother: the one LED is blinking RED; online status is that unit is not internet connected. Internet IS connected to modem, router and computer. Thorough troubleshooting done over phone at my drection, except for full powercycle since receptacle in wall is obstructed by large dresser. Power line pulled from rear of unit for two minutes, both sides of ethernet wire pulled and re-set, sync button pushed, reset button pushed, held for ten seconds. Unit is two years old, perhaps defective? I suppose router could be defective in one of the router ports; could change port that base station ethernet cable is plugged into.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Solved, thank you. Went out there, performed all the recommended procedures and it's working fine now. My guess is that the ethernet cable between the base unit and router was not fully engaged at either end, or the LAN port itself was defective, so moving to an adjacent port solved it. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@improve58 wrote:

Reported by my mother: the one LED is blinking RED; online status is that unit is not internet connected. Internet IS connected to modem, router and computer. 

FWIW, it might be amber (which could look red). https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

I do suggest trying a different LAN port on the router, as that should be pretty easy for her to try.  Power-cycling the modem and the router is another thing she could try.  

Normally I'd also suggest looking at the attached device list in the router, and seeing if the base is listed there.  If that's something you can talk her through, then try that.  That would let you see if the issue is the ethernet connection between the base and the router, or if it is related to the connection to the Arlo cloud.

There are a couple of ways you could get the ability to screen share (and control her PC) remotely.  Google Desktop is one, TeamViewer also offers a free account for personal use.  There are others, these are the ways I've use myself. These might be too hard for her to set up, but if you can manage it, it would make it easier for you to troubleshoot her tech issues in the future.

If she can use zoom, you could have her share her PC screen.  They do have a remote control option.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I also see that you had her press and hold the base reset button for 10 seconds - that should have produced a blinking amber LED as the base reset itself. That also means you have to remove all devices in Settings, My Devices and start fresh.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks @jguerdat @StephenB  I had her powercycle the modem and router, and now the base unit light is blue. So if I remove then re-input the cameras, must they be synced again--that will require me to go out and be there since originally that was done from very close to the base unit. Must I also remove the base unit?

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Although the Base Unit light remains blue, online the base unit still shows as offline. WHen I look online to my mother's internet provider, I can see map of connected items. A year ago I took a reference screen shot and it showed the base unit Arlo VMB4500, 100mbps. The router map is now showing only the router being connected, no Arlo. Seems like I have to go out there. Now sure what else I can do from outside. We didn't get a chance to change the Lan connection or power cycle the base unit.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Basically since you reset the base by holding the reset button you must also remove everything from Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Yeah, you have to go over there unless you can have her use the app or web client to set things up again using the primary account credentials. It's unfortunate that you reset the base because that requires a fresh setup. Be sure to note everything that's still visible - settings, modes, rules, schedule, etc. to speed the rebuild.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

It is odd that given the base unit blue light AND apparently the fact that I can view the library recordings online up until the problem occurred last night, yet it says base unit is offline. I still use the account password so hopefully I don't have to re-establish my account as well...So I will have to remove all devices starting with base unit. If that still shows offline when I get out there, then I guess I'll know the unit itself is dead.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Once I get out there I will first follow the 'get started' procedure by disconnecting the power cable/wall adaptor, ethernet cable etc. That will achieve a power cycle effect; then connect ethernet cable and try a new LAN slot, then reconnect power. Then try to set it up with Arlo app on my cell. Hoping I may not have to re-sync cameras again by bringing them close to base unit but who knows.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Solved, thank you. Went out there, performed all the recommended procedures and it's working fine now. My guess is that the ethernet cable between the base unit and router was not fully engaged at either end, or the LAN port itself was defective, so moving to an adjacent port solved it. Thanks again.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation